• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Steel shot through a smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeblower

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Question? Would firing steel shot, like BB's from a smoothbore pose any dangers. One of my hunting friends has a new 1842 Springfield and I have a small chest of Daisy BB's. I advised against it, because the steel would not flatten like lead moving through the barrel. Hail, next thing we shoot may be square nails. who knows.

Both gun manufacturers and reloading companies strongly recommended against using Daisy BB's, etc, because they are so much harder than the steel shot being used in shotshells. On top of that, both feel that conventional plastic wads aren't thick enough to prevent bore erosion with steel shotshell shot, and only special thicker ones should be used.

Digesting all that, I wouldn't use the Daisy BB's at all, and I wouldn't use steel shotshell BB's without the special wads.

In the days of lead shot for waterfowl I used my 12 gauge double quite a bit for ducks over decoys and jump shooting, mostly with 1 1/8-ounce loads of #4's or #5's. When the steel shot requirement landed, I retired the 12 from duck hunts, then traded it off because I also had a 20 for snowshoe hares over beagles (3/4- and 7/8-ounce loads of #6's). When the beagles eventually slipped off to meet their maker I traded that off, too.

I've given serious thought recently to picking up either a 10 or a 12 again and using Bismuth shot for ducks. Anyone here experienced?

BrownBear, I have a Pedersoli 12ga. twice barrel that I use for all occasions. I use Bismuth shot for ducks with good results. For me it patterns the same as lead does. My duck load is 75grns. of 3f goex 2 overshot wads 1/4" cushion wad 11/4oz. #6 bismuth buffered with cornmeal and 1 overshot card. This is bad medicine for ducks out to 30 yds.

Thanks sparkshooter!

I am really fond of bismuth in cartridge guns, and figured it had to be useful in a front-stuffer, too. Your details area a big help, but my wife may not want to know that. I haven't handled one to know how it feels, but I'm getting kind of fascinated with the 10 gauge Pedersoli. Does anyone out there have one they can report on?

BrownBear- I have a 10 ga.Cabelas Pedersoli. I love it a very fine looking shotgun. About 8 1/2 lbs. not 7 like the catalog said. I got it to hunt geese with. Have not done that yet. Hunt rabbits with it in case a goose flys over.. Rocky
wink.gif

I doubt that a charge of BB's would do any damage. I have shot them occasionaly throughout the years through original smoothbores and newly made doubles too. I have found no problems. I suspect that huge quantity's of shots like you would run through a modern shotgun might be a different story though. Wear from cleaning would seem to be greater problem. I always use a collar on my cleaning rods to prevent muzzle wear. as for sucess with using BB's, I find that the lighter weight does little to help me harvest game. I much prefer using #4 shot to the bb's.

In the dry seasons when getting through the woods is like trying to sneak through a field of cornflakes I like to float the canoe down local streams and ambush squirrels along the banks. It takes a healthy load of #4's to reach the treetops along the river when you consider that you are at water level and the tree bases are often 10-15 feet above your head, plus the trees along the water usually grow kinda tall due to the avability of plenty of moisture. I usually boost up to 80 grains of powder for these shots. I can get 20 guage wads down the .600 bore smooth barrel I use.(48 inch Getz)

I have a Pedersoli 10 that I bought as a kit. I e-mailed Pedersoli about steel shot. They sent me a nice reply advising against steel and round ball loads. They gave info on buck and ball and buck shot. I have used the shotgun mostly for competetion at vous and medium bird (grouse) hunting. I also use it for our Junior Vous when we teach 4th graders about 1840 weapons.

I use 80 grains of 2f and same volume shot. I also found a 36 caliber mould for 000 buckshot and buck and ball.

Should I have to choose between the 10 guage or my 54 Tryon for an all around shootin gun, it would be difficult.

C F

Back