• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Steel in India-made muskets- MH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Browsing the Military Heritage site, they state clearly in the specifications, that musket barrels are made of Tempered Seamless Gun Steel, Type BS970n.080M40. That's Greek to me, but would seem to add confidence to potential buyers. Many of their muskets are sold out, backordered, or in-transit, so there must be a healthy market out there.

It is the same as the old EN8 steel. If used in an barrel, even for muzzleloader pressures, it is suspect. Probably safe, but......

It is intended for axles, bolts, and gears IF PROPERLY HEAT TREATED!!!!!!

Edit- oh and while I'm not technically a metallurgist by degree, my previous career was heat treating. You have to be a 'metallurgist' by trade to be a successful employee.

Last edited:
It is the same as the old EN8 steel. If used in an barrel, even for muzzleloader pressures, it is suspect. Probably safe, but......
Suspect?

By comparison, Traditions Firearms is supposedly using 12L14*, one of the softest steels you can get in bar stock. Given how much machining is required, it's probably not even cold-rolled.

*On the Kentucky and some others anyway. I see their more expensive rifles advertise chromoly steel.

Last edited:
Suspect?

By comparison, Traditions Firearms is supposedly using 12L14*, one of the softest steels you can get in bar stock. Given how much machining is required, it's probably not even cold-rolled.

*On the Kentucky and some others anyway. I see their more expensive rifles advertise chromoly steel.
Traditions does not use 12L14 for their barrels. 12L14 steel is used in many American made barrels for muzzleloaders however. Like Colerain and Rice for example.

I read a report from HP white laboratory a highly respected metallurgist in the industry on the quality of Steel in India made guns! It stated that they used standard industry materials and held up to the same standard American gun manufacturers used! Hopefully I'll be able to attach it

I read a report from HP white laboratory a highly respected metallurgist in the industry on the quality of Steel in India made guns! It stated that they used standard industry materials and held up to the same standard American gun manufacturers used! Hopefully I'll be able to attach it
Okay it was a Middlesex Village FAQ and about halfway through the article was this HP white report

Attachments

• HPWhiteReportWithPersonalInfoBlocked.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Lots of excellent steel is made in India, and has been for years.

Back