• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel Bullet trap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had a thread on bullet traps a while back and there were some very good ideas posted. I began to post this there but decided I didn't want to detract from that thread. This is a trap I built about a dozen years ago as a concept with the intention of building a larger one if this worked.

Attachments

• 3 RESIZE.jpg
    3 RESIZE.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 4 RESIZE.jpg
    4 RESIZE.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 5 RESIZE.jpg
    5 RESIZE.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 6 RESIZE.jpg
    6 RESIZE.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 2 RESIZE.jpg
    2 RESIZE.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 154
Well the photos worked so I'll go on with the description. The opening is 2' x 2' and the material is 1/4" mild steel plate. I was given a 4' x 6' drop from one of our jobs and I was able to cut the main body of the trap from that with enough left over to make the 2 45° (thanks Angie!) deflector plates. I did have to splice the top plate to get it all from the piece I had. The legs are pipe, 1 1/4" if I remember, with the front 2 being adjustable and the rear made in 2 pieces of different lengths. The catcher assembly was made from a hunk of rectangular tubing, a piece of pipe and some scrap plate. The bottom cover is held by 2 bolts and can be swiveled or removed to empty it. The target frame is an old realtor's sign and I cut cardboard to fit.

The trap works very well capturing nearly 100% of the projectiles. Ocasionally I do find a bullet laying on the ground in front of it and sometimes see small flakes of lead under the target frame. No bullet has been found more than 3' from the opening so ricochets aren't a problem. The secret is the angle of the sides. Bullets strike and slide toward the opening as you will see from the photo. With a shallow angle (45° is far too steep) very little of the bullet's impact energy is transmitted to the plate. For those who don't believe 1/4" mild plate will stand up I have fired Hornady XTPs (jacketed hollow points) into it driven by a hot .44 mag handload fired from a 20" barrel from 25 yards without making a mark in the plate. It works well with any form of bullet or round ball I have tried so far. My intention was to have built a larger one, a 4' x 4' opening, from 1/2" plate but my job and the company I worked for went the way of the dodo so it'll probably never happen.

Bet I could put a hole through it with my .30-06 unmentionable with armour piercing ammo. But that's not the purpose of it. I guess it would stand up to a .50 cal patched round ball from a flintlock. Looks like a nice trap. I want to build one similar to that when I get my welder from storage.

If I looked around the house I could probably find something that would make a hole too but it has exceeded my expectations and it's extremly doubtful that a muzzleloading firearm will damage it and most black powder cartridge guns probably won't do it either. No matter, it's easy to cut out a section and weld another in if it's ever needed.

I really like it. If I had the resources I built a similar trap. Due to the shape of it I doubt it has that "gong" sound to it. Probably more of a clang. Some months back there was a thread where a steel backdrop/target was discussed and from what I got out of that thread it was the dimpled or cratered steel which can cause most of the dangerous splatter. Notice I did not say "only" the dimpled or cratered steel?

Latest posts

Back