• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Steam Canon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Archimedes designed, built and fired a steam canon in 240 BC. Made of wood and bronze.

Juggernaut

I saw a demonstration of one on the Discovery Channel that did work. Was thinking of designing one myself. The valve would be similiar to one used in an air rifle.

CP

never said that it wouldnt work,i just said theres didnt. they did the mirror reflection and managed to set fire to a ship at 100feet by concentrating the suns ray to a hot spot, i always wanted to build a pumpkin cannon :thumbsup:

How about in .69 caliber? :winking:
[url] http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1861/may/winans-steam-gun.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of a Harmless steam Cannon?

Steam.jpg

Wow,seems easy enough to make.Wonder if copper pipe would work?(The picture caption states iron or brass for barrel)Thanks for posting :applause: !

Saw that "steam cannon" tonite , guess they got the bugs workrd out after a hand full of nothing the last one with the 6" iron ball went about a mile, now lets outlaw water!! Fred :hatsoff:

You can't outlaw water as we need water to live. Outlaw fire instead. Less carbon, less global warming, saves trees. Of course, we have to kill more animals to wear their skins so as to keep warm during the cold winters, but something's got to give if we give up fire.

Cute part of this one was they had been so sure it wouldnt work useing a 20 foot pipe X 6" it was aimed at down town S. F. the first 4 or 5 times it didnt even roll out, then that last time they couldnt find it till near sundown, SF was another mile behind as they pointed out. Fred :hatsoff: Big Boy's? and Big Toy's.......Fred :hatsoff: the baloney powered rocket still has me wondering how did it do that? (work that is?)

Claude said:
Powder Keg said:
Here is a picture of a Harmless steam Cannon?

"Harmless" until they shoot that girl in the back of the head! I wonder why she's got her arms in the air? :haha: :shake:

Steam.jpg
Well...Hard to tell in monochrome? :blah:

The myth-busters should of tryed this instead of going thru all the junk they added to it...from what I can read of this one. :shake: still a 6" iron ball over a mile is nothing to joke about - about like Sadam's "super cannon" what did that one reach first shot? 100 plus miles? Its been to long since that one was on tv, anyone remember that thing? Fred :hatsoff:

Hey guys the US navy uses one all the time!
catapult-fig.jpg

Best system out their for tossing 50 million dollar planes off the flight deck! :thumbsup:

while true it does look like the mess of pipe ect my - bust had on a few weeks ago on "retrying some that ..." they never can make it easy. Fred :hatsoff:

spitfire said:
Actually,the USN uses a steam catapult. :hmm:

But for the next generation of carriers they are working on electric catapults. One I did some early engineering work on would fire planes as usual, but it would also launch 300 pound supersonic drones. The drone had to reach at least mach 1 by the end of the catapult or it wouldn't be able to fly.
The really crazy guys were on the other side of the building working on how to land these things. Imagine a 300 pound drone comming down to the carrier deck and catching a wire at mach 1. :youcrazy:
I'll stick with safe things like playing human canonball.

Back