• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

State by State turkey regulations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle16

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am on the verge of buying a fowling/smooth bore piece. I don't have a preference about caliber or time era. But I do have a concern about turkey hunting regulations. My retirement gift to myself in 8 years will be a turkey slam with a flintlock. Please post your state's turkey regulations. Thank you in advance.

idehoo. Idaho Fish and Game | Idaho Fish and Game
Unlawful Methods of Take No person may take turkey: • Outside of legal shooting hours. • With lead shot exceeding BB size or steel shot exceeding T size. • By use of dogs, except during fall hunts. • With a trap, snare, net or firearms; Except turkeys may be taken with a shotgun using shells not exceeding 3 ½ inches maximum length, or muzzleloading shotgun. • With any airgun pre-charged pneumatic power to propel a projectile (including shot and arrows) with unignited compressed air or gas and projectiles less than thirty (.30) caliber. • From any watercraft. • By the use or aid of any electronic call. • By the aid of baiting. Bait is defined as any substance placed to attract game. See page 44 for additional Unlawful Methods of Take. Areas Closed to Hunting of Turkeys • See page 45 Species Identification The beard or leg of wild turkey must be left naturally attached to the carcass while being transported. Shooting Hours Shooting hours are from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. Definitions Daily Bag Limit: The maximum number of turkeys that may be legally taken, caught or killed by any one (1) person during a calendar day: • During spring seasons the daily bag limit is two bearded turkeys, using a general tag and an extra tag. • During fall seasons the daily bag is equal to the number of valid tags possessed. Either sex turkeys may be taken during the fall. The maximum number of tags one hunter can possess in one year is six. Tags: There are Three Types of Tags • General tag is valid for spring and fall seasons. It can also be used during spring or fall controlled hunts with the purchase of a controlled hunt permit or a landowner permission hunt permit. If the general tag is not used to harvest a turkey in the spring it may be used in fall seasons. • Extra tag is valid for spring and fall general seasons. It can also be used with a controlled hunt permit or a landowner permission hunt permit. Two tags per person per year. • Special unit tag is valid for the fall season in Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 4A, 5, 6, 7 and 9 Two turkey tags—one general tag and one extra tag—may be used for the spring turkey season before May 26.

Please post your state's turkey regulations.
Forums such as this are not in my opinion a great place to solicit interpretations of various state game law regulations. Why not get the information from the game commissions of the states you are interested in hunting in? Imagine talking to a game warden. Would you want to reference a post on a muzzloading forum or a link to an actual state regulation?

Forums such as this are not in my opinion a great place to solicit interpretations of various state game law regulations. Why not get the information from the game commissions of the states you are interested in hunting in? Imagine talking to a game warden. Would you want to reference a post on a muzzloading forum or a link to an actual state regulation?
SD...I agree. Though I think the OP was asking for the actual regulation links or posting of the actual regulations. Not sure why one would not just Google the state DNR regs they are interested in rather than asking others to do it and post. For instance, if I Google "Minnesota DNR 2022 Turkey Regulations" the following comes right up, I can click the link, and viola...I have Minnesota's regs.

1638377396673.png

If I were interested in out-of-state hunts I'd probably be asking here about state land opportunities, how good the game population is in certain states I'm interested in, is private land access available via some program, etc. This is where other hunters can actually provide information based on their experience in their state.

Last I saw for CA, muzzleloading shotguns could be used. That is about the extent of the entire regulation. So anything with a smoothbore was good, any gauge/caliber, any projectile (no lead).

I think maybe he wanted general information on each state within spending hours reading each states regs.

In Kansas for example there is a fall season and a spring Tom only season. Shotguns 20 gauge or larger with shot. Rifles not allowed. Also, archer season too.

I looked into this question some time ago.

A 20 gauge muzzleloading smoothbore, loaded with the proper size shot according to the particular state's regulations that you hunt for turkey in, will be legal for use in all 50 states. Coincidentally, that same 20 gauge/.62 caliber smoothbore will legally allow someone to hunt all big game species in the United States, to include the apex predator bears, should they be so inclined.

As far as muzzleloaders are concerned, In Georgia "Gobblers" can be taken with ANY Muzzleloading weapon. I intend to try roundball this year if I dont find a Fowler I like.

Here in Missouri for spring and fall seasons turkey can be taken with only bows and shotguns (smooth bore) with shot size #4 as the largest that can be used. This coming spring I'll be using a William Moore SxS that I brought back to life earlier this year.

Thank you for all your responses. I was looking at a smooth bore 58 caliber but then heard some states that may not be allowable, so i figured I would just ask here. Based on responses, looks like a 58 would only be prohibited in Connecticut. Obviously any state I plan to hunt I would check regs. Thanks again.

Thinking back on past discussions on this forum and others, I dint think Connecticut is the only state with a minimum turkey hunting gauge of 20 gauge.
As you said, check the regs.

The way I see it, if your considering a .58 smoothbore, why not just go to the .62/20 gauge and not worry about restrictions? It isn't that much difference in the amount of lead consumed for roundball. And for shot you can always download it to save shot. Easier to shoot a lighter shot load in the 20 for small game, than a heavy for bore size load in the .58 for turkey.

Post #9, regarding the 20 gauge being legal to use in all 50 states, refers to the minimum legal requirements for bore diameter in a centerfire shotgun for turkey hunting.

As far as I know, no state currently has a greater standard for bore diameter as regards to a muzzleloading shotgun/smoothbore, than they do for a centerfire shotgun.

As a result, if you purchase a 20 gauge muzzleloading smoothbore, then it will be legal to hunt with regardless of whether you hunt turkeys during a muzzleloading season, or the regular centerfire season.

20 gauge is usually the minimum bore size for waterfowl in most states, although I do not know if that is applicable for all 50 states.

I have a hen and biddies living next to me within 100 yards. I cannot molest her
area. But I will do our Spring hunt out in our National Forest. It is all about
challenge and giving wildlife a more level field for survival. That is why using
muzzleloading shotguns for the hunt is so balanced and fair. Technology is
so advanced you can now use infra-red sensors on drones to locate wildlife
and with scopes and advanced weaponry guarantee killing the game. The
muzzleloader, using primitive ignition guns, reduces his chances of success
while elevating the humanity of our conduct with our wildlife treasures.
The muzzleloading hunting sport gives wildlife a sporting chance , And brings
added respect to those sportsmen and spoprtswomen who choose to hunt
with this older, more challenging weaponry.

Back