• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Starting To Make A Patch Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48679

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I had an extra replacement pruner blade on hand, which inspired me to make a patch knife.

I think it will do just fine as a patch knife, since it's flat on one side, with an edge bevel on the other.

This is the $3 pruner blade, I started with:

6J2Npl2m.jpg

The 1st thing I did was to rough cut it (hacksaw) for a tang:

pe741MDm.jpg

The 2nd thing was to mark it for grinding into a usable tang:

VHNzvSjm.jpg

Then, it was a matter of grinding away the excess material:

aUQguQqm.jpg

I had some fancy Walnut left over from another project, that I'll use for the handle:

uKyrhXXm.jpg

I haven't yet decided whether or not to flatten the hump on the blade's spine...…… (to be continued)

Very nice!! I find making knives is an easy, enjoyable, relaxing task. I’ve made, sold and gave away quite a few over the years. What your doing is my favorite thing, repurposing and grinding an already semi shaped piece of metal. I also love working with walnut and your peice will make beautiful knife handles... keep us posted on your project, I’d love to see the end result!
Kary

My patch knife came out ok.....

I epoxied the scales to the tang in preparation for shaping/sanding/finishing them

jDmsIRkl.jpg

I made a temporary leather safety guard for the blade; AND decided to add a brass PRB short-starter to the hilt

Nz8KZ1Xl.jpg

With the short-starter integral with the patch knife, it eliminates having to short start the ball with one tool, then switching tools to the patch knife (handy if I'm getting rushed by a Squirrel)

I still have to complete the wood finishing, but it's essentially done.

ssfFtPfl.jpg

My patch knife came out ok.....

I epoxied the scales to the tang in preparation for shaping/sanding/finishing them

jDmsIRkl.jpg

I made a temporary leather safety guard for the blade; AND decided to add a brass PRB short-starter to the hilt

Nz8KZ1Xl.jpg

With the short-starter integral with the patch knife, it eliminates having to short start the ball with one tool, then switching tools to the patch knife (handy if I'm getting rushed by a Squirrel)

I still have to complete the wood finishing, but it's essentially done.

ssfFtPfl.jpg
Looks good ... beware of rushing squirrels .. take cover! Polecat

Last edited:
Back