• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting Out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, straight to the point I’m going to get started into muzzleloading. Something about older gear that has always interested me, waxed canvas backpacks, trapping and traditional bowhunting is how it started for me, now I’m gravitating to muzzleloading.

To begin I live in a rural area of Northern Ontario with no local shops that support muzzleloading, maybe one that would special order. Needless to say I’m in the used market and I have a few questions. First is rifle choice, I’ve found a few on classifieds and if some light can be shed on best choice for a beginner that would get me started. Options include;

Traditions Whitetail Percussion .54 $330
Traditions Whitetail Flint .50 $500
Traditions Hawkens .50 $900
Lyman Middlefield .50 $550
Lyman Great Plains .50 $600
T/C .50 $400
Another Hawkens .50 $500
Safari .50 $500

I know a lot of options and range of prices. Keep in mind each one comes with some basics, either say 20 balls and patches or a pack of sabots and some powder pellets. With the exception of the $900 Hawkins, it comes with a horn, measure, Lyman mold, 2lbs goex and quite a bit more odds and ends. From what I read I’m really leaning towards the .54 and then just buying my additional needed gear online. Target animals when I get used to shooting it will be mainly whitetail, the potential for black-bear and moose will be there but those could be years to come before I draw a tag.

I apologize for the long post, just want to get all points across the board, in saying that I do plan on moulding my own balls and possible conicals if I expand into that. With lack of local supplies it would be easier then buying, especially since I can buy local lead bricks for $1.25 a pound. This can further determine caliber choice. Any other info for a beginner starting out would be great!
You are going to get a lot of advise here. I will only say that your first gun should probably be a caplock. Otherwise you may get frustrated right off the get go with the hobby.

Welcome from SE Missouri. Ref. your choice of rifles, "Go Big or Go Home!" Better to have too much rifle than not enough.

OP, I am a new black powder shooter, but I have only pistols. Nevertheless, I can tell you about the cap lock vs. flintlock issue for new black powder hobbiests, and that might assist you with narrowing things down a bit.

My first black powder weapon was a cap and ball revolver. After a few sessions with it, I was very comfortable with loading procedures and running it accurately. I already wanted a flintlock before I got the revolver, but I wanted to ease into things a bit, first.

My second black powder pistol was the Traditions Trapper. Many have said that Traditions flintlocks don't run reliably, but that has not been the case for my pistol, so far. Even if some of them come with imperfect lockwork, those flaws can be fixed by the user. A good place to find information on tuning a Traditions lock can be found here:

http://geojohn.org/BlackPowder/Trapper/TrapperMobile.html
Even though the writer is talking about a pistol, the principles will still apply to a rifle's lock. I studied his whole site before I bought my revolver.

Could I have started with a flintlock and been satisfied with the experience? I think it's safe to say that I could have. Don't forget that new shooters all started out with flint locks before percussion caps were invented. If they could do it, you can, too.

In the grand scheme of things, you'll be well served either way you go, ignition system-wise.

Howdy from south Alberta. You're going to enjoy the game.

My 2 bits is go with a .50. Lots of gun if you know your limitations and seems to be easiest caliber to find bits and bobs for. For your first, I'd suggest a percussion. Flintlocks are fun but can be frustrating. With the price of flints, if you're not getting decent life out of them, it can get a bit expensive. Unless you can get a good supply of suitable rock and learn knapping.

Easy to find supplies on line. Keep an eye on the forum and you'll learn them.

If you like the deal on the TC go for it. Won't agonize over the first ding and the crack can likely be easily fixed

Lyman Great Plains; somewhat historically accurate, tough and shoots very well. Look around, they are frequently available relatively inexpensive. Polecat
I am new here and was looking for a thread just like this one. Without having to post a new thread. Looking for the best and most inexpensive starting caplock for the money.

Lyman GPR .50 1:60 twist is a good choice you said?

Yes, I made one from a kit years ago. Sold it, but; regretted that, and recently made another. Best Hawken reproduction for the bucks. Often good used ones for sale here. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth. Dale 🦨 [Polecat]

Back