• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting Out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIVINtheLIFE

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone, straight to the point I’m going to get started into muzzleloading. Something about older gear that has always interested me, waxed canvas backpacks, trapping and traditional bowhunting is how it started for me, now I’m gravitating to muzzleloading.

To begin I live in a rural area of Northern Ontario with no local shops that support muzzleloading, maybe one that would special order. Needless to say I’m in the used market and I have a few questions. First is rifle choice, I’ve found a few on classifieds and if some light can be shed on best choice for a beginner that would get me started. Options include;

Traditions Whitetail Percussion .54 $330
Traditions Whitetail Flint .50 $500
Traditions Hawkens .50 $900
Lyman Middlefield .50 $550
Lyman Great Plains .50 $600
T/C .50 $400
Another Hawkens .50 $500
Safari .50 $500

I know a lot of options and range of prices. Keep in mind each one comes with some basics, either say 20 balls and patches or a pack of sabots and some powder pellets. With the exception of the $900 Hawkins, it comes with a horn, measure, Lyman mold, 2lbs goex and quite a bit more odds and ends. From what I read I’m really leaning towards the .54 and then just buying my additional needed gear online. Target animals when I get used to shooting it will be mainly whitetail, the potential for black-bear and moose will be there but those could be years to come before I draw a tag.

I apologize for the long post, just want to get all points across the board, in saying that I do plan on moulding my own balls and possible conicals if I expand into that. With lack of local supplies it would be easier then buying, especially since I can buy local lead bricks for $1.25 a pound. This can further determine caliber choice. Any other info for a beginner starting out would be great!

I would chose the Lyman Great Plains or a TC for the dependably but I also prefer a 54 calibre for larger game. The TC will shoot a slug pretty well so if it come to a 50 calibre that is a good one. Then use a round ball on deer or target for economic reasons.

I would pick what tickles your fancy. None except the Lyman are historically correct guns so your looking at just a shooter or for hunting. Very hatd to beat a T/C for accuracy, dependability and toughness.

Welcome aboard !

IMO, it's better to walk, before trying to run...

I would respectfully suggest buying the least expensive gun you can find, because after you use it awhile, you'll know much better what works for YOU.

IME, T/C's work so good as starter guns that many folks never need to try/buy another.

Hey everyone, straight to the point I’m going to get started into muzzleloading. Something about older gear that has always interested me, waxed canvas backpacks, trapping and traditional bowhunting is how it started for me, now I’m gravitating to muzzleloading.

To begin I live in a rural area of Northern Ontario with no local shops that support muzzleloading, maybe one that would special order. Needless to say I’m in the used market and I have a few questions. First is rifle choice, I’ve found a few on classifieds and if some light can be shed on best choice for a beginner that would get me started. Options include;

Traditions Whitetail Percussion .54 $330
Traditions Whitetail Flint .50 $500
Traditions Hawkens .50 $900
Lyman Middlefield .50 $550
Lyman Great Plains .50 $600
T/C .50 $400
Another Hawkens .50 $500
Safari .50 $500

I know a lot of options and range of prices. Keep in mind each one comes with some basics, either say 20 balls and patches or a pack of sabots and some powder pellets. With the exception of the $900 Hawkins, it comes with a horn, measure, Lyman mold, 2lbs goex and quite a bit more odds and ends. From what I read I’m really leaning towards the .54 and then just buying my additional needed gear online. Target animals when I get used to shooting it will be mainly whitetail, the potential for black-bear and moose will be there but those could be years to come before I draw a tag.

I apologize for the long post, just want to get all points across the board, in saying that I do plan on moulding my own balls and possible conicals if I expand into that. With lack of local supplies it would be easier then buying, especially since I can buy local lead bricks for $1.25 a pound. This can further determine caliber choice. Any other info for a beginner starting out would be great!
First of all welcome to to forum and the muzzleloader sport!
I would pick the Lyman GP first and the TC second. I assume they are both percussion. My favorite it the flintlock, but for a beginner, the percussion is an easier learning curve.
Keep us posted.
Larry

Sorry I should have kept up on the info a little more I wanted to make the post as short as possible. The Lyman Great Plains .50 is a flintlock and comes with nothing, rifle only 1:32 twist. The Lyman MiddleField .50 is a percussion, comes with a 4x40 scope mounted(which I wouldn’t use anyways, but maybe on another rifle I have) powder measure, horn, caps, starter and about 20 sabot rounds. The T/C .50 is for sure used, some regular scuffs and dings from going through the brush, one small crack in the stock, comes with a 3-9x40 cheap scope and 20 conical rounds. No tooling or powder. Other then the crack and the .50 I liked this deal a lot as well. I take it from a lot of the comments that maybe Traditions is a cheaper/less reliable brand? I can also just hang off and keep looking, not really in a rush as I can talk to my local gun shop about supplies. I just figured some of these might be good deals, keep in mind as well all prices are CAD.

I'm a fan of the Lyman GPR. That twist rate is more for conicals, so you can put a pretty heavy slug in there for larger game. You can always get an extra barrel for round balls if you are so inclined.

For bear or moose the 54 would be the better choice, IMHO, but any of the 50's that will shoot a heavy conical would also suffice. Even at $900 the Traditions Hawken looks attractive(depending on condition)because of all the extras. The 2lb of BP(which is nearly impossible to buy because of the GOEX plant closing & subsequent panic buying) & the mold are worth quite a bit in this market climate. I know of no one that made a mistake buying a GPR or a TC. Pick one & have fun. It won't be your last purchase!

OK, I'll just come out and say it - stay away from Traditions. You won't regret buying any TC and they are easy to get parts for. My personal first muzzleloader was a Lyman Great Plains, very nice rifle in .54 caliber BUT it was a flintlock (I only shoot flintlocks). For a beginner I would really think a percussion gun would make things easier on you and in the beginning there are enough things to learn without getting into lock tuning!

I've never heard of a Lyman Middlefield. Could that be the same thing as the Trade Rifle?

My first muzzleloader was a Lyman Trade Rifle and it was and is a fantastic rifle. Very accurate and reliable. I took third place at a match with it against guys with fancy custom guns that cost tens time more. I considered the Great Plains but went with the Trade Rifle because it was lighter for hunting and had better balance for me.

Lyman Great Plains; somewhat historically accurate, tough and shoots very well. Look around, they are frequently available relatively inexpensive. Polecat

I am leaning towards the Lyman GPR, but I’m concerned of the 1:32 twist and beginning with a Flint also the .50 part. I will more then likely only every hunt whitetail with it, but the .54 just gives more options. Being how rural of an area I live in caps and powder will be hard to come by. I just may be able to order powder from one local shop, but it would be expensive. Caps are scarce even online atm. It’s very contradicting for my specific situation, but if I could overcome the tougher learning curve, I believe a quality .54 Flintlock would be best. Mold my own balls and make patches, that way the only thing in my way would be finding powder, but out of all the consumables needed I believe that one should be the easiest to find and just buy in bulk when I do find it.

Update. Just listed was a .54 Lyman GPR 1:66 percussion in great shape for $500 and I have contacted the owner. This may be the one to jump on. My only issue will be finding #11 caps in Canada if I do. Advice?
They make a cap maker for about 50 dollars that works well. Check out the "net". Caps are like beaver, they will return once the rush dies down.

The traditions is a good gun, accurate and while not fully historically correct it’s mistakes are not glaring.
In flintlock it’s problem is it’s not a real good flintlock. And nothing is more frustrating, especially for a new shooter then a poor working flintlock.
The Lyman Great Plains looks very much like an original Hawken. It’s not a copy by any means, but would be my first pick on your list

Back