• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a flintlock smooth bore rifle in .62-20 gauge, no choke. I shoot prb's with 50 or 70 grns of 3f for the rifle load.
What would be a good starting load for shooting shot? Grns of of powder and oz of shot.

In my straight choked 62 cal Fowler I use a powder charge of 70gr FFG with 1-1 1/8 is of 6 or 7 1/2 size shot. I like the Skychief system of using a 1/8” over powder wad - shot charge-thin over shot disc on top of the shot charge-- olive oil lubed 1/2” fiber wad.
25 yard pattern of 1 0z of size 6 shot.
86E20288-CC79-4FE4-8C3A-98DF58154430.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Art. I was figuring somewhere around there but I just didn't know. I do like the 1/8 wad on powder and the two thins over the shot. I'll try it out Sunday morning at my regular outing.

I use the exact load as above only I use crumpled paper for wadding over the powder a lubed paper shot cup made from heavy market bag paper, and another crumpled phone book paper wad over the shot. My patterns arent as tight as above but they're tight enough to drop a squirrel or pheasant at 25 yards.

I have one with thick barrels, the other somewhat thinner. I use 80 grains whatever powder and the same amount of shot in the thick one. 70 grains in the thin one. It just makes me feel better, no anecdotal evidence the thin barrels should get less. They both perform virtually the same regarding shot pattern with same components only 10 grains less powder and shot in the thin one.

Back