• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Starting a possibles bag kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting on my first possibles bag kit today (from Crazy Crow). Wish me luck!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Not familiar with those kits. What kind of leather is it and how thick? Is there leather to make welts in the seams of the bag? Is the strap material long enough to make an adjustable strap and what width is it? Is that waxed linen thread or artificial sinew in the small bags? What else can you tell us about the kit?

Gus

I'm sure this is covered in the instructions, but make sure you stitch the larger pieces together with the rough sides out. When they're stitched together, you can then turn the bag "inside out" (right side out?) and have the smooth surface on the outside and the stitching/seams on the inside. I just recently made a couple small leather drawstring ball bags from scrap, which I hadn't done in a looonnng time, and I started stitching the first one the wrong way. I caught myself after the first stitch, fortunately. :thumb:

Not familiar with those kits. What kind of leather is it and how thick? Is there leather to make welts in the seams of the bag? Is the strap material long enough to make an adjustable strap and what width is it? Is that waxed linen thread or artificial sinew in the small bags? What else can you tell us about the kit?

Gus
Hi Gus,

Here is the description on the page where I purchased it. https://www.crazycrow.com/possibles-bags/beavertail-hunters-bag-kit-7.50in

It says "oil-tanned leather pieces." I'm unfamiliar with welts.

The strap is long enough to be adjustable, and it is 1-1/2" wide. The thread is artificial sinew (I've heard that waxed linen is better...I have beeswax, and I think I have linen thread around somewhere...

It comes with patterns for 5 or 6 different flap designs.

Too late to edit, so here they are. Showing how the leather is oriented for stitching, then (nearly) finished. I just need to add leather "slides" to the drawstrings for quick opening and closing.

Attachments

• bag1.jpg
    bag1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 91
  • bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 86
I'm sure this is covered in the instructions, but make sure you stitch the larger pieces together with the rough sides out. When they're stitched together, you can then turn the bag "inside out" (right side out?) and have the smooth surface on the outside and the stitching/seams on the inside. I just recently made a couple small leather drawstring ball bags from scrap, which I hadn't done in a looonnng time, and I started stitching the first one the wrong way. I caught myself after the first stitch, fortunately. :thumb:
Thanks. Yes, the instructions detail how that works. I've been brushing up on saddle stitch by watching YouTube videos.

Hi Gus,

Here is the description on the page where I purchased it. https://www.crazycrow.com/possibles-bags/beavertail-hunters-bag-kit-7.50in

It says "oil-tanned leather pieces." I'm unfamiliar with welts.

The strap is long enough to be adjustable, and it is 1-1/2" wide. The thread is artificial sinew (I've heard that waxed linen is better...I have beeswax, and I think I have linen thread around somewhere...

It comes with patterns for 5 or 6 different flap designs.

Thanks for the link. I don't understand something, though. In the description it says, " a 1-1/2" wide adjustable shoulder strap with a hand-forged iron buckle!" But in the Kit Includes list, it says, "Nickel Buckle." So which one did you get?

Oil tanned leather is good and also period accurate. If the leather is thick enough, you won't need a welt in the bag.

Good idea to use linen thread waxed with beeswax to make it authentic.

Gus

Thanks for the link. I don't understand something, though. In the description it says, " a 1-1/2" wide adjustable shoulder strap with a hand-forged iron buckle!" But in the Kit Includes list, it says, "Nickel Buckle." So which one did you get?

Oil tanned leather is good and also period accurate. If the leather is thick enough, you won't need a welt in the bag.

Good idea to use linen thread waxed with beeswax to make it authentic.

Gus
This one came with an iron buckle...I think. It looks and feels like iron. I'll post photos later on.

Hopefully quicker to receive also. I ordered the kit 2 weeks ago all I received was an email we got your order. I ordered some other things from them 5 weeks ago and all I have so far is the same type email. They are not the only suppliers like that 2 others out 3 weeks. Patience is not something I have an abundance of when it comes to waiting. :(

Back