• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Starting a Hudson Valley Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m about done sourcing and fabricating the main parts for a Hudson Valley Fowler and so am at the layout stage. It will use a 54” long, round 12 gauge barrel from Charles Burton. I assembled castings for a large Dutch lock from The Rifle Shoppe. I’ve got a long piece of sugar maple a friend gave me about 10 years ago that will fit. Ken Gahagan, Mike Brooks and Tom Curran have helped me with buttstock layout.
This one is patterned after HV1 in Grinslade’s book on Flintlock Fowlers. That one is estimated as 1710 or so but pre-1740 is a safe bet. This one will weigh much less, about 8 to 8.5 pounds, I’m calculating.
47D58B88-30AD-45B1-A62C-A75A893E741D.jpeg

I’m about done sourcing and fabricating the main parts for a Hudson Valley Fowler and so am at the layout stage. It will use a 54” long, round 12 gauge barrel from Charles Burton. I assembled castings for a large Dutch lock from The Rifle Shoppe. I’ve got a long piece of sugar maple a friend gave me about 10 years ago that will fit. Ken Gahagan, Mike Brooks and Tom Curran have helped me with buttstock layout.
This one is patterned after HV1 in Grinslade’s book on Flintlock Fowlers. That one is estimated as 1710 or so but pre-1740 is a safe bet. This one will weigh much less, about 8 to 8.5 pounds, I’m calculating.
Awesome Rich! I love long barrels, but do you have a field stepladder in the plans for loading? 😂
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

I’m embarrassed. I’m finishing a 1760s English trade gun though and will post it soon. We moved from St.Louis to Vermont and that should give me maybe 6 months credit?

I have assembled the lock for the big HVF. Thanks for helping me decide what gun should be next. My list:
Early big HVF
Fancy NE club butt fowler
Fancy Deringer .36 rifle ca1815
1750s American rifle patterned after the Musician’s rifle

How about those 4 in 2022?

Yes Rich, you definitely get a 6 mo. grace period for moving halfway across the country and having to re-set up shop :cool: . You also get the 'thumbs up' on the 'to do' list. HVFowler next on the list, but I'm just biased. Keep us posted please. Pics and construction details are a wonderful thing! Cheers, Fred

I’m embarrassed. I’m finishing a 1760s English trade gun though and will post it soon. We moved from St.Louis to Vermont and that should give me maybe 6 months credit?

I have assembled the lock for the big HVF. Thanks for helping me decide what gun should be next. My list:
Early big HVF
Fancy NE club butt fowler
Fancy Deringer .36 rifle ca1815
1750s American rifle patterned after the Musician’s rifle

How about those 4 in 2022?
Okay, we can grudgingly give you the 6 months, though a man of your talent shouldn't need it. Lol.
The build list looks great, ambitious, but fascinating. I'd move the musician's rifle higher,,, like to second. No one is doing stuff like that, just like the HVF, it will be great to see them come together.

Congrats on the move to VT! You'll love it up there!

Please plan to join us in Manchester, VT on the weekend of 12/13 February, for a Winter primitive MZL’ing snowshoe biathlon! They also have a woods-walk course and multiple, fun target stages, as other events.

Check out www.svtpb.org! PM me if needed for any area assistance, places to eat or stay, etc., as it would indeed be a pleasure to meet you in person!

Thanks, I’m planning on it! I’ve got to get my snowshoes in order. The bindings need some work. Will be great to see you there.

Back