• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starter kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R8nger

32 Cal
Reaction score
Any good ones? Really new to this no idea what to get to load powder and caps.

Graf & Sons has black powder but you'll have to pay the hazmat fee plus shipping, the same if you buy percussion caps online and have them shipped, if you can find them. Apparently the supply has not caught up with demand yet.
There is a For Sale/Wanted section, you may chose to use that to see if anyone here may have some they will sell you.

You will need a good, sturdy rod. Do not rely on the wood rod that is in the thimbles. Good for loading at the range and good for cleaning after a day of shooting. A cleaning jag, suitable for your rifle calibre. Cleaning patches too. Cleaning muzzleloaders is a chore that must be done after shooting your new rifle. Rust is a nasty four letter word.
The initial setup for someone new to this sport can be expensive. Make good choices. If you have questions about what you should buy, this forum is the place to ask.

Last edited:
I don't think you can buy a kit per say. CVA has one but it's more suited to inline rifles.
You need a short starter, adjustable powder measure, capper for # 11 caps. Range rod, cleaning rod, attachments. Cotton cloth for cleaning and shooting patches. There's more but I think these are just the basic items you need.

I don't think you can buy a kit per say. CVA has one but it's more suited to inline rifles.
You need a short starter, adjustable powder measure, capper for # 11 caps. Range rod, cleaning rod, attachments. Cotton cloth for cleaning and shooting patches. There's more but I think these are just the basic items you need.
Thanks i have some goodies to buy it seems

You will need a good, sturdy rod. Do not rely on the wood rod that is in the thimbles. Good for loading at the range and good for cleaning after a day of shooting. A cleaning jag, suitable for your rifle calibre. Cleaning patches too. Cleaning muzzleloaders is a chore that must be done after shooting your new rifle. Rust is a nasty four letter word.
The initial setup for someone new to this sport can be expensive. Make good choices. If you have questions about what you should buy, this forum is the place to ask.
The rod n my rifle is no good?

@R8nger, The rod may or may not be good depending on the run out of the grain. Look at the tips. The tips may or may not have a cross pin. In use, most likely cleaning, the tips may come off if not pinned. Lots of tales of woe about loosing the ram rod tip while cleaning. Also, ram rods are an expendable item. I've broken most of mine at one time or another. They will break through over stress either loading or cleaning or just by some accident. What @ord sgt, is saying is that you need a sturdy rod to use instead of the rod in your rifle for your target work at a loading bench and for the job of cleaning your rifle. The rod in the RMC Ox-Yoke kit or the one piece rods from Track of the Wolf Rod or October Country Rod or Jim Chambers are all good and up to the task.

A bare minimum would be:

3Fg or 2Fg black powder or Pyrodex or Triple Se7en powder. Do not buy pellet style powder.

Powder measure or empty cartridge case (follow link to see possible cartridges to use: Black Powder Measures from Cartridges

Round lead balls. For a rifle, look for balls that are .010" smaller than your guns bore.

Cotton cloth. .015 to .018 thick works well in most rifles. Do not use cloth that contains synthetic fibers like nylon, rayon etc.

A block of wood or "short starter" to press the patched ball into the muzzle.

Cleaning jag in a size suitable for your guns bore.

Percussion caps. Usually #11 size for rifles.

Cleaning patches. Any material will work.

You can use your wood ramrod for ramming the patched ball or bullet

A good cleaning rod is very useful for cleaning your gun with the cleaning patches and jag.

Look at your wooden ram rod. If the wood grain looks like the grain in this picture, it may break leaving a razor sharp edge that can poke a hole thru your hand or arm.
ramrodgrain1.jpg

The metal ends on the ramrod should be pinned in place. Properly done, it looks like this:
RAMROD.jpg

A bare minimum would be:

3Fg or 2Fg black powder or Pyrodex or Triple Se7en powder. Do not buy pellet style powder.

Powder measure or empty cartridge case (follow link to see possible cartridges to use: Black Powder Measures from Cartridges

Round lead balls. For a rifle, look for balls that are .010" smaller than your guns bore.

Cotton cloth. .015 to .018 thick works well in most rifles. Do not use cloth that contains synthetic fibers like nylon, rayon etc.

A block of wood or "short starter" to press the patched ball into the muzzle.

Cleaning jag in a size suitable for your guns bore.

Percussion caps. Usually #11 size for rifles.

Cleaning patches. Any material will work.

You can use your wood ramrod for ramming the patched ball or bullet

A good cleaning rod is very useful for cleaning your gun with the cleaning patches and jag.

Look at your wooden ram rod. If the wood grain looks like the grain in this picture, it may break leaving a razor sharp edge that can poke a hole thru your hand or arm.
View attachment 60172

The metal ends on the ramrod should be pinned in place. Properly done, it looks like this:
View attachment 60173
Wow a lot of info to take kinda overwhelmed thanks!

That horn flask with powder measure attached to it in that black powder maniac video looks pretty cool
If you watch the For Sale section sometimes you'll see powder horns for sale or you can go online to just about any traditional muzzleloader vendors and find finished horns. I bought one on this site but my others come from Powderhorns and More, they have finished horns and horn kits. The antler powder measure I picked up from October Country who also has powder horns.

Products | Powderhorns and More

October Country

Back