• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Started the New Year with a bang...and a headache.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not a topic for forum?
Or maybe there is something of value for us all to learn, regardless of the type of gun. A stuck bullet is a stuck bullet. The cause necessary for a man to use a drill bit down the bore could be of great value even to a traditional shooter. The type of gun is really irrelevant, I'm curious why the path of least resistance wasn't chosen.
It is better to learn from other's mistakes, than it is to make your own.

I should have stated that the obstruction was half way down the barrel. Not near the CHAMBER!!!!! There. I said it. Doesn't matter what kind of barrel it is. The drill is a viable option when nothing else will work. I got the long bit at Home Depot.

Or maybe there is something of value for us all to learn, regardless of the type of gun. A stuck bullet is a stuck bullet. The cause necessary for a man to use a drill bit down the bore could be of great value even to a traditional shooter. The type of gun is really irrelevant, I'm curious why the path of least resistance wasn't chosen.
It is better to learn from other's mistakes, than it is to make your own.
Agree, but what does your comment about removovable breech plugs have to do with the traditional shooter? That was was the reason for my comment.
Unmentionables have removable breech plugs, why didn't you just remove the breech plug ?

Agree, but what does your comment about removovable breech plugs have to do with the traditional shooter? That was was the reason for my comment.

Because he said;

I had exhausted all other options.

Yet no mention of removing the breech plug on a gun that the plug was designed to be removed.
This should have been the first option. It's an enigma, one I would have thought you would recognize.:dunno:

I should have stated that the obstruction was half way down the barrel. Not near the CHAMBER!!!!! There. I said it. Doesn't matter what kind of barrel it is.

Right, it doesn't matter what kind of barrel it is, doesn't matter if it has a chamber either.

Why couldn't the bullet be punched out instead of drilled ?

I had a situation with my Derringer replica flintlock rifle with a load that I couldn't pull. The threads in my puller had stripped out. I couldn't get the ball to the breech to shoot it out. The touch hole liner had been filed flush to the barrel, so that couldn't be removed for the grease gun application, besides I had a hole through the ball. Since I built the rifle, I knew how the breech plug was installed. Since I couldn't pull the ball out or shoot it out, my option was to remove the breech plug and drive it out with a suitable steel rod. In some cases, such as a Traditions / CVA breech, removal of the breech plug is not an option to be considered lightly. Some factory builds install the breech plug with such excessive torque that most of us will find it nearly impossible to remove the breech plug.

I don't recall it being a common, normal to a recomended practice to ever remove a breech plug on a trad muzzleloader.

On a traditional muzzleloader no, but an "unmentionable" was mentioned.
I guess none of this really matters anyway.
I wonder if the OP ever got his ball out ?

On a traditional muzzleloader no, but an "unmentionable" was mentioned.
I guess none of this really matters anyway.
I wonder if the OP ever got his ball out ?
I haven't tried yet I am going to push it down to the breech and shoot it out with a bit of powder trickled in thru the touch hole. That will require a trip to the range, hopefully next weekend.

I believe the stuck ball was in a Bess.
Walk

I was referring to this post.

I got a lead slug stuck in an old unmentionable rifle a few years back. I did what the op was thinking and used a long drill bit with electrical tape wraps for bushings in 3 places. I drilled through the slug and after a few taps with a brass rod, the lead came out in pieces. Worked like a charm. I had exhausted all other options.
Never left a mark on the bore.

I thought my question was a simple one. Guess I was wrong. :doh:

I give up. :horseback:

This is beginning to sound like an Abbott and Costello routine.

images

So, in keeping with the title of the thread -

I loaded up the Bess with 100gr powder and an overpowder card.
At midnight I let her rip out in the backyard.
That brought in the new year with a big bang, a big-long-red-bright flash and an echo from the surrounding neighborhood.
Then we polished off a magnum of white zinfandel and a bottle Ezra Brooks, (for the headache part) .......

Hope everyone is having a great new year!

Back