• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Started my Kibler .32 SMR Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like she's a shooter! Don't have too much fun, I've heard it can become addictive. Great job on all you accomplished. šŸ‘
Thanks! I started shooting flintlocks in early 70ā€™s and over the years stopped and started a few times. Iā€™m finding that I am enjoying shooting ML rifles more now because itā€™s slow paced (like me) and the fellowship with my ML friends is a big part of the sport. I have a Colonial kit on order - I hope for July delivery. Depending on how that goes I might consider the new WoodsRunner (or in my case it will be a WoodsWalker!)

Went to the range today and I am more than pleased with my SMR even though I forgot my shooting bag with my measure and powder hornšŸ˜«. I had a partial can of 3f in my bucket and a small measure that looks like it started at 30 grains - I have to check it tomorrow when I go back to shoot the postal match with my buddies.

I shot a couple to check operation and then posted this target and shot 3 times from the bench to check my sights. Shot low and a little left at 25 yds. (Picture wonā€™t display normally - always looks sideways)
View attachment 141962
Spent some time moving and filing the front sight - had to file about 1/2 of the front sight down to bring the shots up to my aiming point. Those SMR sights are not easy on my 71 year old eyes!

The last target was shot offhand at 25 yds with a 6 oā€™clock hold on the small bull. 3 in the black and two went a little high - have to get used to this trigger.

View attachment 141963
Iā€™ve been using Siler locks all my life and always thought they were the best, but I have to say, these Kibler locks are a couple of notches up! I think I shot 30 times total today testing different patches, powder charges (estimated changes because the measure I had was not calibrated). That lock fired every time without ever touching the flint except to wipe it clean about every 10 shots. I am impressed!

Rifle was easy to load between shots and I was using.390 balls with0.022ā€ pillow ticking wet with a Ballistol and water mix. I wiped it out every 10 shots to see how much fouling was building up and there wasā€™t much there.
I stated I used .390 balls in my .32 SMR - meant to say .310 - those .390 balls would be tough to get started! Been shooting a .40 cal for so long until this SMR and another .32 SMR percussion rifle were added to my collection šŸ˜Š

That looks great and motivates me to FINALLY
Finish my Kibler .45 SMR.
Cyrus, Iā€™m glad you are going to finish your SMR and look forward to seeing pics as you progress. Last rifle I built was over 40 years ago and reading about others building their Kibler kits and finishing this Kibler kit have reignited my interest in building again.

I have a Colonial kit on order and I have parts for two partially finished flintlock rifles that have been sitting in my shop for 20 years waiting for me to work on them! One is a .45 long rifle and the other is a Jaeger that someone else started for my friend and quit after the buttplate was partially inlet.

Life sometimes gets in the way of doing things we enjoy and it takes a little nudge to get us started again! Life is short and especially in these crazy times, try to enjoy the little things that bring a smile to your face and make you feel good!

Gary

Back