• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Start em young

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Rocky Mountain is an absolutely beautiful gun. Do you shoot paper patched bullets out of your Missouri River, or sabots? If I had the funds to travel abroud, I'd definitely enjoy a long visit down Yander

No I haven't, covid has really made things hard. I wanted to (and still want to) cast my own for the Missouri but we can't get moulds or anything like that from the states with the restricted postage going on. I've been shooting sabots through it for now, don't get me wrong they do a great job and I'm not opposed to them like many here but I still want to eventually be casting my own when I can.

Australia is actually a pretty good hunting destination, lots of game and depending on the state lots of public land. Some good sights too, many people don't realise that it's the same size as the lower 48, huge area! City people aren't worth much but get out into the country especially in northern Australia and they're a good bunch.

That Rocky Mountain is an absolutely beautiful gun. Do you shoot paper patched bullets out of your Missouri River, or sabots? If I had the funds to travel abroud, I'd definitely enjoy a long visit down Yander

The rocky mountain is nice, but my Missouri River is nicer!
20210816_083935.jpg

Great shot and good to have your son along for the show! :thumb:

The 54 Rocky Mountain Hawken, even with its "slow twist" barrel, will shoot shorter hollow based conicals exceptionally well. Mine will shoot the Hornady Great Plains conical just like PRBs except for a bit more drop with the same 90 gr charge of 2f. If you search back to Dec 2013 posts of mine and find the one titled "Ten Below and Ol Moe" you'll see a great example with photos of the capability of this rifle with a conical.

I believe the RMH to be the finest production rifle on the market for the combination of great looks, flexibility, and super accuracy.

Great shot and good to have your son along for the show! :thumb:

The 54 Rocky Mountain Hawken, even with its "slow twist" barrel, will shoot shorter hollow based conicals exceptionally well. Mine will shoot the Hornady Great Plains conical just like PRBs except for a bit more drop with the same 90 gr charge of 2f. If you search back to Dec 2013 posts of mine and find the one titled "Ten Below and Ol Moe" you'll see a great example with photos of the capability of this rifle with a conical.

I believe the RMH to be the finest production rifle on the market for the combination of great looks, flexibility, and super accuracy.

That's good to know, might try and track down some conicals to use in it. Could be good medicine for big game.

I certainly love mine and will not part with it.

That's good to know, might try and track down some conicals to use in it.
Unfortunately, the .54 Hornady GP is not made anymore. I had no luck at all with solid base conicals, even with a wad under them. A couple different hollow based conicals worked great. While I have never tried them. the Lyman .54 Minie mold looks like it would produce a bullet very close to the hollow based 425 hornady GP's I used. A little more round nosed, which might be better.

Mold Lyman .54 caliber, 425 grain Minie bullet mold, single cavity, steel blocks only - Track of the Wolf

Unfortunately, the .54 Hornady GP is not made anymore. I had no luck at all with solid base conicals, even with a wad under them. A couple different hollow based conicals worked great. While I have never tried them. the Lyman .54 Minie mold looks like it would produce a bullet very close to the hollow based 425 hornady GP's I used. A little more round nosed, which might be better.

Mold Lyman .54 caliber, 425 grain Minie bullet mold, single cavity, steel blocks only - Track of the Wolf

I know they don't make them anymore buy the good and bad of Australia is that we're behind the times. You can still buy hornady FPB which have been discontinued for a while. Might be able to get the 54 GP

Latest posts

Back