• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Starr - single action vs double action?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Starr revolver. They were/are made in both single and double action models. If only getting one, which should it be?

I haven't owned a Pietta Starr but I've handled both, get the SA version

The DA is more of a Double Action Only, the trigger cocks the hammer and the small little latch behind the trigger, is activated by the trigger to drop the hammer. You can't cock the hammer with your thumb.

I almost bought a Pietta DA Starr at a gun show but a Double Action percussion revolver would probably get fiddly unless you could make it 100% cap jam free. Plus people seem to ask way too much for these, I'm like it's a Pietta , calm down ...it's not an $800 gun. You can almost get an original for $1000-1200

Cant verify it, but word on the street is the DAs are troublesome, stick to the SA. At least that's been what's said.
If you get one, let us know how it is, they look like they have good ergonomics.

I got to handle an original and a repro of the DA at the Shot Show when it was in Dallas.
I really liked the cool factor of the DA, we always shot DA in PPC, Combat Silhouette, and of course law enforcement.
The Double Action percussion revolvers always had a cool factor for me , like the Starr and Tranter

Clint had a Starr DA in Unforgiven, I always thought they were cool and I instantly recognized it when that movie came out

I can , however, see how they can get finicky since trigger cocking is less "positive " than thumb cocking when a gun gets gummy from fouling

I'd think there was far less need for "quick draw" stuff during the Civil War and a DA would have less usefulness in combat , since normally it was pretty clear when battle was about to occur vs someone like a lawman or civilian who might actually need a quick first shot.

The trigger pull on the .36 and the final "trip" is disconcerting. I do think that if they had added a push release (instead of a screw pin) to tip cylinder up for quick change it would had been interesting.

The trigger pull on the .36 and the final "trip" is disconcerting. I do think that if they had added a push release (instead of a screw pin) to tip cylinder up for quick change it would had been interesting.
A break-top Starr with a button release, and a few extra cylinders would be a blast at the range

I'd use that in a Practical Handgun match at my club just to do it .

Being one of the first doubble actions on the market i can't imagine it was very refined? for DA to be usable inmop it needs to be pretty slick. Stiff and rough DA is totally useless INMOP

Being one of the first doubble actions on the market i can't imagine it was very refined? for DA to be usable inmop it needs to be pretty slick. Stiff and rough DA is totally useless INMOP
Think being scared fecal-less in combat these drawbacks would be readily overlooked. My .36 Navy works, but takes effort. Its a 3 digit BTW and came from a well known collector who lusted after a S&W Schofield we had.

actually no. defects are magnified in high stress situations. not overcome. one of the shootouts we studied back in the day a state trooper dumped six rounds of .357 mag into the hood of his cruiser trying to hit a perp on the other side of the hood some 6ft away. stiff doubble action trigger pull combined with heavy recoil cartridge were the likly cause and one of the reasons that .38sp XP was invented. It was both an upgrade to regular 38sp and a downgrade of .357mag because they found that most officers could not shoot full power .357 accurately under stress. My point being that an early unrefined stiff doubble action is going to suck in stressful shooting situations. A worked highly tuned modern doubble action in a reasonable caliber like .45acp or .38spXP is pretty darn slick. obviously i have not tried a Star action but judgeing from the comments of folks who have i would absolutly choose a single action of that era over a DA of that era.

Last edited:
actually no. defects are magnified in high stress situations. not overcome. one of the shootouts we studied back in the day a state trooper dumped six rounds of .357 mag into the hood of his cruiser trying to hit a perp on the other side of the hood some 6ft away. stiff doubble action trigger pull combined with heavy recoil cartridge were the likly cause and one of the reasons that .38sp XP was invented. It was both an upgrade to regular 38sp and a downgrade of .357mag because they found that most officers could not shoot full power .357 accurately under stress. My point being that an early unrefined stiff doubble action is going to suck in stressful shooting situations. A worked highly tuned modern doubble action in a reasonable caliber like .45acp or .38spXP is pretty darn slick. obviously i have not tried a Star action but judgeing from the comments of folks who have i would absolutly choose a single action of that era over a DA of that era.
Heck i don't even like ANY double action colt regardless of when made. An otherwise mint lightening that was unrepairable comes to mind even if an unmentionable.

Latest posts

Back