• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starr riflestock attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab44

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here's a question. Original Starr around 1858-1860 it has a dovetailed metal attachment to original grip. Some idiot cut across the screw/plate no idea why,,,,people. Anyway the plate is home made I think from civil war time a screw is broken off in it (not a big deal) My questions are, Anyone seen this before? Does a rifle stock have a metal to fit dovetail on top of stock or bottom. Does anyone know how the stock was fitted? Did a support connect to main frame somehow. Any info welcome. Oh does anyone have the stock in their basement somewhere???lolol It is original and grip original and she shoots well .457 balls or conical. a big gun. Thanks I know you bunch like pics and problems to solve so here are both.

Attachments

• DSCN0169.JPG
    DSCN0169.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0168.JPG
    DSCN0168.JPG
    761.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0167.JPG
    DSCN0167.JPG
    771.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0165.JPG
    DSCN0165.JPG
    770.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0164.JPG
    DSCN0164.JPG
    772.1 KB · Views: 0
For some reason, the image went into the middle of the message ......Here's a similar, but simpler arrangement. On your Starr, the bottom plate of the shoulder stock was undoubtedly the width of the Starr's

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 7.56.58 PM.png

grip and the tension/mounting screw went into that hole on the one side of the bottom of the grip. Note that the stock wedges into place to provide a more secure mounting

Perfect I did not even think of that. I guess a wood stock could be with a similar locking screww. That is neat thanks for info. I may even try to make one or get a buddy with a shop and welding. Your pic looks like the plate on my gun and has a small taper. Thanks for info

Last edited:
Back