• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Starr By Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw a copy of a Starr pistol by Pietta, anyone have one and what are your thoughts?

It was an interesting looking revolver, but the grip sure looked awful small/under sized.

It was for display only.

These were discontinued about a decade ago by Pietta, both the single and double action variants.

Parts are extremely hard to come by and it makes shooting them on a regular basis very problematic.

Americans are only interested it seems in Colts and Remington’s. Despite their being lots of other designs during the period, those are the only two that seem to sell and be sustainable these days, sadly.

I always wanted the Pietta single action version but in the end settled for the Double Action as it was available at the time. I kept it for about a year and it was 95% reliable once all the sharp edges had been stoned off. The biggest problem I had was cleaning it as I always strip my guns down more or less fully to clean them. I can honestly say it was different but not something I would buy again. Incidentally, I have since bought an original single action that is not mint but has a good bore and locks up nice and tight, it would certainly make a good shooting example.

I have the SA version. NIB, unfired.
It's a horse of a different color, for sure! Contrary to what you might think, the grip is surprisingly comfortable and well-fitted to my hand. Can't say about the DA version, but my SA is surprisingly well-balanced. The backstrap and grip spur keep your hand where it belongs, and your knuckles away from the TG.
My biggest complaint is the cylinder stop notches. Unlike the originals, the "smiles" cut into the cylinder aren't wide enough for the bolt, and simply cycling the action inevitably leads to peening over the notches. I don't see any way of correcting this without a minuscule ball mill and a Dremel, and a truckload of tedious wasted time. Each cylinder has extra safety notches in between the safety notches so you would be doing 12 of these. I suppose one could taper the bolt, but IMHO that would interfere with safety as the sharp edge could easily be broken off. Examine a pic of a real Starr and you will see the stop notches are more of an oval than a smiley, which is what Pietta should have done to begin with.
The break action is interesting, but of little use other than assisting in cleaning. No way is it effective in field cylinder swaps, and the security screw is not captive. If you were to drop it in the field or in battle...game over. So lose the idea right away about Pale Rider cylinder swaps...
Finish and wood are quite pleasing. No issues with that whatsoever.

26152545278_5f753ba1a4_z.jpg

The basic action. Note the extra notches cut into the cylinder to add a safe locked position out of battery...

39319071035_795d0c7a8e_z.jpg

Hammer face & profile...

26344382478_b998a0a6bd_z.jpg

40184317472_7458b7a8d7_z.jpg

Front sight, dovetailed for windage adjustment...

40216890131_feb9750479_z.jpg

Loading lever arrangement, very much like an early Colt setup (e.g. 1851 Navy)

40184335092_7659ce566e_z.jpg

Trigger position at full cock (note the short trigger throw in full cock position)

26344448828_73db3e2687_z.jpg

Loading lever appears plenty long for leverage...

39319176465_6c3d168b76_z.jpg

...although the catch release pin is sharp and can snag on clothing or gunleather...

39505750964_3d01b25f01_z.jpg

The stocks are nice, a one-piece affair, with a rounded butt and no bottom strap as on a Colt or Remington.

26344491828_4b6b9c4af0_z.jpg

28437736489_3a0ef52927_z.jpg

Here's the thumbscrew that holds it together...

25346224357_e47ac2c186_z.jpg

...when removed, it allows it to break like a S&W Schofield...

39505821204_1166eee0e5_z.jpg

...for easy cylinder removal.

26344554258_f641d806ab_z.jpg

The grip spur. Looks uncomfortable but in truth, feels just fine!

26344721218_73a493cf88_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have the SA version. NIB, unfired.
It's a horse of a different color, for sure! Contrary to what you might think, the grip is surprisingly comfortable and well-fitted to my hand. Can't say about the DA version, but my SA is surprisingly well-balanced. The backstrap and grip spur keep your hand where it belongs, and your knuckles away from the TG.
My biggest complaint is the cylinder stop notches. Unlike the originals, the "smiles" cut into the cylinder aren't wide enough for the bolt, and simply cycling the action inevitably leads to peening over the notches. I don't see any way of correcting this without a minuscule ball mill and a Dremel, and a truckload of tedious wasted time. Each cylinder has extra safety notches in between the safety notches so you would be doing 12 of these. I suppose one could taper the bolt, but IMHO that would interfere with safety as the sharp edge could easily be broken off. Examine a pic of a real Starr and you will see the stop notches are more of an oval than a smiley, which is what Pietta should have done to begin with.
The break action is interesting, but of little use other than assisting in cleaning. No way is it effective in field cylinder swaps, and the security screw is not captive. If you were to drop it in the field or in battle...game over. So lose the idea right away about Pale Rider cylinder swaps...
Finish and wood are quite pleasing. No issues with that whatsoever.

26152545278_5f753ba1a4_z.jpg

The basic action. Note the extra notches cut into the cylinder to add a safe locked position out of battery...

39319071035_795d0c7a8e_z.jpg

Hammer face & profile...

26344382478_b998a0a6bd_z.jpg

40184317472_7458b7a8d7_z.jpg

Front sight, dovetailed for windage adjustment...

40216890131_feb9750479_z.jpg

Loading lever arrangement, very much like an early Colt setup (e.g. 1851 Navy)

40184335092_7659ce566e_z.jpg

Trigger position at full cock (note the short trigger throw in full cock position)

26344448828_73db3e2687_z.jpg

Loading lever appears plenty long for leverage...

39319176465_6c3d168b76_z.jpg

...although the catch release pin is sharp and can snag on clothing or gunleather...

39505750964_3d01b25f01_z.jpg

The stocks are nice, a one-piece affair, with a rounded butt and no bottom strap as on a Colt or Remington.

26344491828_4b6b9c4af0_z.jpg

28437736489_3a0ef52927_z.jpg

Here's the thumbscrew that holds it together...

25346224357_e47ac2c186_z.jpg

...when removed, it allows it to break like a S&W Schofield...

39505821204_1166eee0e5_z.jpg

...for easy cylinder removal.

26344554258_f641d806ab_z.jpg

The grip spur. Looks uncomfortable but in truth, feels just fine!

26344721218_73a493cf88_z.jpg

Treasure that always. Pietta Starr’s have been discontinued for years and are commanding incredibly high prices on the open market. You own quite the collectible there, I’d never shoot it.

I’m still curious how these guns shoot. I’ve heard they don’t like conicals—if you guys know whether or not starr had a proprietary mould, lmk!

These were discontinued about a decade ago by Pietta, both the single and double action variants.

Parts are extremely hard to come by and it makes shooting them on a regular basis very problematic.

Americans are only interested it seems in Colts and Remington’s. Despite their being lots of other designs during the period, those are the only two that seem to sell and be sustainable these days, sadly.
I lucked into an as-new Rogers Spencer a few years back. They seem to have a high-opinion from the feedback guys. Haven't fired it, but have an "improved" cylinder for it. Have only heard praise for them.

Treasure that always. Pietta Starr’s have been discontinued for years and are commanding incredibly high prices on the open market. You own quite the collectible there, I’d never shoot it.
Isn't is amazing that replicas have become onto themselves, collectibles? Wish I'd bought, studied, kept NIB the many "odd" replicas that were hard to sell back in the day but are now like gold.

Isn't is amazing that replicas have become onto themselves, collectibles? Wish I'd bought, studied, kept NIB the many "odd" replicas that were hard to sell back in the day but are now like gold.
Some of the toys I owned as a kid, if I owned them today New-in-Box would net me enough cash that I could supplement my pension income, and retire early.... not to mention a few of the BP guns I had in the 1980's....

LD

Some of the toys I owned as a kid, if I owned them today New-in-Box would net me enough cash that I could supplement my pension income, and retire early.... not to mention a few of the BP guns I had in the 1980's....

LD
Ah, how true! My only easement is that as an older person, I realize I can't take it with me anyway, you can only take memories of friends and family. But, boy, would I like a newer car!!! :)

Back