• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Standard length of Pull ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to think I needed a 14" pull, not so any more. I can comfortably shoot a pull from 11 1/2" to 14". Anything past 14" is a stretch. I'm 6' tall. I'm presently shooting a gun with a 13" pull.
Drop at the heal and comb are far more important measurements when it comes to fit.

I don't think there is a real standard pull, but believe that 14 " is likely more common than most other measurements for shotguns. Maybe that length just suits Mr average for shotguns. Rifles can be a bit shorter for the same person, as the hold and such is different.
I like using a rifle of the type we don't mention here, made in 1924 or thereabouts.
Stocks from that part of the world seems V short, (Finland and Russia) so I use the middle finger on the trigger! (It works, and my bent -up gnarly middle finger doesn't get clobbered on the guard that way!)
Using the middle finger in essence lengthens the pull.

With rifles, because they are aimed, and generally there is a fair amount of time taken, the human anatomy can adapt pretty well to a myriad of stock configurations, LOP's etc. With shotguns and fowlers, because they're mounted and shot quickly, and pointed rather than aimed, stock fit and instantaneous eye alignment becomes far more critical. If you look at the British custom shoppes (Purdey, Boss, H&H et. al.), you will notice their SxS scatterguns are generally longer LOP's and of less drop at the comb than their SxS rifles too.

I've made a bunch of stocks for modern guns and only a dozen for set trigger ML rifles. I used to think 14 3/8 was perfect for a shotgun and used that number for ML rifles. I later found that they fits so much better and were easier to shoot well if they were shorter. I have shortened my main off hand rifle twice, it's now 13 1/2". My first serious ML build is 14 3/8", it is way to long for me shoot comfortably. It seemed OK when I made it though. I am 5'10" and 240#. I'd now rather err on the side of shorter. I do not like having the strain to reach the trigger. It may also have something to do with being older, stiffer and having beginning arthritis.

Thank You All very much.

I have read all your responses and very much appreciate the information.

Now I can expand my search including rifles with shorter length of pull stocks.

Paul

Back