• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Staking/Pegging a site?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestick

40 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone pegged or staked there dovetailed sight to keep it from being moved after getting the windage perfect? I have done it on an unmentionable small caliber rifle before using a prick punch. If you have is that what you used for something else? A couple of good whacks and she is set. Takes a hammer and a brass punch to drive it out.

Has anyone pegged or staked there dovetailed sight to keep it from being moved after getting the windage perfect? I have done it on an unmentionable small caliber rifle before using a prick punch. If you have is that what you used for something else? A couple of good whacks and she is set. Takes a hammer and a brass punch to drive it out.
I prefer a drop of epoxy. That doesn't damage the metal. A touch of heat on the sight will break the epoxy bond so it can be removed agin.

I've heard of a method where a small divot was drilled onto the bottom of the sight, fluxed then filled with a touch of solder and filed smooth when cooled, then reinstalled to the barrel. Once finish sighting-in was conducted a quick heating by a torch to the sight base the solder melts and fixes the sight. To remove, just heat the sight back up and it drifts right back out.

No matter what you do to hold the sight in the dovetail , it's prudent to put a scratch mark or something else to mark the final sight position . If the sight moves , it's obvious.. .........I plead guilty to all the above.........oldwood

I like to drill and tap the base of my sights with a fine set screw so I can "lock" it in place when I have it where I want it.This leaves the barrel "unmarked".

Back