• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Over the years I've used four different stock stains. This is the first time I have been in possession of three examples at once and found it interesting to look at the differences side by side and thought perhaps others would fing it interesting as well.
stains2.jpg

Cody

LEJ,
Sorry, the bottom one (built in 1992)was originally chomium trioxide. This was my third rifle and by the time I noticed the first two turning green, I had already stained this one with it. (don't ever use chromiun trioxide as a stock stain) I stripped the finish off as best I could and restained with fiebings leather dye. In the right light you can still see some green but it is ALOT better than it was. The middle rifle (built in 1996 or 97)was stained with fiebing leather dye. I think it was some kind of blend with dark brown, light brown and mahogany. It has faded a fair bit from when new. The top one (built 2003) stained with nitric acid (aqua fortis).

Cody

hey cody, they all look great. it's nice to have more than
one gun around just to see how the same stain changes color
from one piece of wood to the other. i'm parchal to the
darker color, yet not too dark but lets the grain show through. did you make all three guns, sideplates, patch
box etc. :thumbsup:

Cody Tetachuk,
i am prone towards the middle one just light enough to alow the grain of the wood to come thru :imo:

snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :master:

it's nice to have more than
one gun around just to see how the same stain changes color
from one piece of wood to the other. did you make all three guns, sideplates, patch
box etc.

Yes I made all three. This is the first time i've had all three in my possession at the same time and was able to compare the color and quality of the stains. The old clunker on the bottom has been my faithfull companion since I made it in 1992. 44" getz swamped .45cal barrel L&R Durs Egg lock. I made the side plate, toe plate and cheek inlay but the PB was bought. The one in the middle I made for my dad around 96-97. 42" getz swamped .40cal barrel L&R Durs Egg lock. I made side plate, toe plate, PB and all inlays. Thimbles are store bought. The top one I made last year. 44" getz swamped barrel .45cal, Chambers GA lock. I made side plate and PB and all inlays.

Robin,
Thanks for fixing the picture. I still can't figure out how to change them but I knew I could count on you. You must be getting tired of fixing my photographs by now but I sure appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Cody

I am in awe of anyone who has the talent to make such beautiful firearms. Hope I get to see some more of your work sometime. :thumbsup:

I am in awe

Frank,
Is that awe as in "awe man, is that the best you can do??" :haha:

This is the flip side (now that I know how to size the pics)

stains1.jpg

Cody

P.S. sorry for the poor quality pictures. Maybe Slowpoke can teach me how to use this cursed digital camera :winking:

Frank and Stumpkiller,
Thanks for the kind words

Stumpkiller,
I'ld like to deliver the top one to your tent but that's my hunting rifle. I'm sure you wouldn't want me to stop hunting, right. ::

Cody

Back