• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stains for maple stocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a kit ordered with a #3 curly maple stock and would like to see some photos of the stocks you've done and what stain you used. I'm not really set on a color, not really wanting it blond or black dark.

Thanks, Justin

Laura mountain forge dark walnut
99E07193-4598-44E9-8F6F-6E935769EDEF.jpeg
0A6503C6-2160-474A-BE6B-E9134F027923.jpeg
ABCFBC4F-0B3A-44E6-A637-E93B7EA13E81.jpeg
11EA5383-B206-49CC-8E45-1F05F4DD04EC.jpeg

Hi,
Ferric nitrate dissolved in water, neutralized with lye water, then the Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil finish tinted with orange and yellow aniline dyes.
GTFkaam.jpg

yXf6boY.jpg

VV7obI8.jpg

Very dilute ferric nitrate neutralized with lye water with the S-W polymerized tung oil finish tinted with orange dye. Objective was color close to the original rifle.
0vDnuIx.jpg

AKwpwwO.jpg

dgntHRT.jpg

Ferric nitrate and S-W polymerized tung oi.
SehkThP.jpg

7J5zoH4.jpg

jJtRGZ1.jpg

Ferric nitrate neutralized with lye water and S-W polymerized tung oil tinted with yellow aniline dye.
ZfCMaLk.jpg

ip9QWFB.jpg

OTRfVTX.jpg

dave

Fiebing's leather die' British tan' I find good & some times a drop of their 'Marine black ' adds a darker hue .if wanted if that's helpfull.
Regards Rudyard

Back