• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stainless Steel 1858 revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laufer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As they also must be cleaned, just like the carbons steel ones, except for the beauty of the look, is there any other benefit? I am looking into a new 1858 Remington, any suggestion or experience with a stainless ones would be appreciated.

Clean up is good. A friend of mine takes the grips off and puts it in the dishwasher. When dry he just oils it up then puts his grips back on ready to go again.

Clean up is good. A friend of mine takes the grips off and puts it in the dishwasher. When dry he just oils it up then puts his grips back on ready to go again.

That's an interesting idea , but I'm not sure you would or wouldn't trap moisture inside the gun ...

Like i said thats my friend. I am sure he blows all the moisture out, beside the dish washer has a drying cycle of hot air. I dont own stailess. All mine are blue steel or brass framed.

You better believe it. When i make lube cookies i have my wife's permission to use the microwave and stove and her counter tops. Then they are inspected when i am done. HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE!!!

Stainless is not suppose to rust but it will corrode. The 400 series is magnetic but the 300 series is not. The 400 series is used in firearm manufacture where as the 300 series is best in electronics and where acid corrosion resistance is needed.

Stainless isn't stain/rust proof, but it is stain/rust resistant. So, while you do need to clean it well and after every shoot, it is still a bit more forgiving. Beyond that, I feel like it's for looks.

They look cool. That's about the only difference I guess. I have one as well as a regular Remmy and I like them both.

BPB- do you feel like stainless is a little heavier than standard? I like the one I got, brand new with factory grease all over, but made in 1993. Cleaned it in and out, works like a Swiss clock, can not wait for the next weekend to shoot it.

BPB- do you feel like stainless is a little heavier than standard? I like the one I got, brand new with factory grease all over, but made in 1993. Cleaned it in and out, works like a Swiss clock, can not wait for the next weekend to shoot it.
I think they're the same, mine is a long barreled model though so hard to say.

If I'm going to get a stainless cap and baller , I'd go with a Ruger Old Army.....

My favorite look for a percussion revolver is the "0% blue holster worn look" or maybe the Charcoal Blue , which is very delicate for actual use.

Stainless isn't exempt from the "Clean it before sundown on the same day you shoot" rule. While it may not stain or surface rust, it will form pits in short order - DEEP pits. And once pits form, they're subject to growing if not given immediate cleaning after all future shooting.
While I try to avoid stainless black powder firearms, I do have a Stainless Ruger Old Army, said by a seller to be unfired, but having telltale black powder granules and residue on the frame under the grips - no pitting, but I always clean the lightly stained little fleabites to ensure they don't grow. I also have a percussion rifle that someone neglected long enough to grow a sizable pit about an inch down from the muzzle. Tackdriver nonetheless, but it gets cleaned post haste to ensure the pit doesn't grow.
ROA vs Dragoon to post1.jpg

Last edited:
As they also must be cleaned, just like the carbons steel ones, except for the beauty of the look, is there any other benefit? I am looking into a new 1858 Remington, any suggestion or experience with a stainless ones would be appreciated.
Contrary to popular notion stainless will also rust just not as quickly as carbon alloy steel will. A couple of points with black powder revolvers that come to mind one should be aware of.
1. Stainless steel in revolvers is usually a bit softer and more easily dinged than is one made of carbon alloy steel.
2. Stainless will still rust if neglected.
3. Stainless is not traditional coloring.
4. There are parts in a revolver such as the bolt cam,ratchet star, base pin or arbor that need light grease not just a slathering of oil sprayed through a cleaned revolver before the grips are reinstalled.

Back