• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Staining TC Hawken stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve lurked on here for a long time, but have not posted much, if at all. I have learned a lot, but have a question.

i was given an old TC Hawken flintlock kit. I have almost everything done, and now am about to finish the stock. While whiskering the stock, I noticed the area around the lock, and forward, is a much lighter color than the buttstock area. It’s so much lighter, I’m going to stain the whole thing in an attempt to even it out some. It looks a little odd.

I have built several kits, and have used Birchwood Casey stains. My supply is almost exhausted, and I was curious what stain you all would recommend. The only stain I have left is the BC Red Colonial color. I thought that might be just too red In the lighter areas! My thought was to just use walnut stain on this rifle.

I am liking the way it looks so far. I have had an Italian replica flintlock Hawken for a very long time and I like the feel of that TC better.

All opinions welcomed!

I only used boiled linseed oil on the walnut stock I finished 40+ years ago on a TC kit and it turned out a nice dark walnut color. It didn't have lighter wood so I didn't have to worry about matching colors.

Hey Crawfish,
Welcome! It is always good to have new members of the Board and of the muzzleloader fraternity!
Everyone has opinions, and especially on stock staining and finishing. The only opinion that matters is yours. I would try the stain you have in an area of the barrel Channel and also under the buttplatte. That way you can tell if it works for your tastes or if you want to try another color without any permanent damage. Remember, in the struggle is the glory!
Good luck!

I agree with staining inside the barrel channel. Even before you did that, if you haven’t already... wet the stock with some water to get an idea of the coloring. It could be something outstanding on its own. :cool:

Years ago I built a TC Hawkin from a kit and used potassium permanganate. Mixed with water it looks purple but darkens right away. I've used the same mixture to darken deer antlers. This mixture was recommended by a gun builder, and a taxidermist, two different people.
For what it's worth.....good luck, there are many options.

Thank you all! I already swabbed the Red Colonial into the barrel recess, look fine, but I don’t know! I’ll take your advice and do the underside of the buttplate, as it is the fine, walnut looking part of the Gun. That may tell the tale!,

To find out what the stock will really look like when it's finished, put a coat of water on the surface.
Walnut always looks much lighter when it's just bare wood than it will look when it is finished with oil. The water will let yous see temporary what the finished stock will look like.

You can stain the lighter area with the color of your choice and stain the whole again with another color to get to where you like. Wetting with water will give a idea of the color after finish is applied. You can redo the stain quite a bit before the finish is applied but that pretty well ends the experiment.

Thanks guys! I’m familiar with using water to see how the wood will look. I was quite pleased with the appearance of the stock until I worked my way up to the lock area.
I’ll just have to get a little creative! i am planning on using Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn Gun Stock Finish. Those instructions say to clean up with mineral spirits, so I should be ok if I use a walnut stain I already have in my shop. It’s all oil based stain, but should be ok.
I’ll thin it down and do several costs til I get what I want.
correct me if I’m wrong, but I am assuming the order of application to be:

stain the stock

seal the stock

finish the stock......... with usual drying and sanding between coats in all steps
thanks for the info, everyone!

Check out Keda wood dyes, Five color powders to make any color you want when mixed with rubbing alcohol.

The dark brown Fiebings dye did a good job of darkening the lock area, which did not match the rest of the rifle. I was able to blend it in, although the stock is pretty dark. I did add just a wee bit of the Colonial Red to the Dark Brown.
First coat of Permalyn Sealer drying as I write this.
in terms of the next step, would a rifle like this have a blued barrel? Or a browned one? I would assume blued, but I personally like the look of a browned barrel

Attachments

• A86F3889-FFA7-4ED7-87F2-A51C07D2B024.jpeg
    A86F3889-FFA7-4ED7-87F2-A51C07D2B024.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 120
Stain??
I have a T/C Seneca and the factory finish was some sort of Poly that was sprayed on. The finish had an yellowish orange look to it which I never really liked. I had Frontier refinish the stock which turned out to be what they call "flame walnut or curly walnut". You would never know what beauty was beneath that factory finish just looking at it. Frontier did a beautiful job with no staining involved. I guess my point is why use a walnut stain when the wood is already walnut? Just a thought.
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1397 (2).jpg
IMG_1397 (2).jpg
IMG_1395 (2).jpg

The dark brown Fiebings dye did a good job of darkening the lock area, which did not match the rest of the rifle. I was able to blend it in, although the stock is pretty dark. I did add just a wee bit of the Colonial Red to the Dark Brown.
First coat of Permalyn Sealer drying as I write this.
in terms of the next step, would a rifle like this have a blued barrel? Or a browned one? I would assume blued, but I personally like the look of a browned barrel
I browned mine 40 years ago with Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown. It still looks good and I think it goes better than bright blue on a Hawkin style rifle. Just my opinion.

Back