• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Staining rough sawn pine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good thoughts. I'll have time in the next few days to build this. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I work in a sawmill and decided to make a mantle a couple of years ago. It was rough sawn and I did run it through the kiln so it wouldn’t warp on me as it dried. I did do some hand sanding on it though. I used a pre conditioner and highly recommend using one. I chose a fairly dark stain. I used a sponge type “brush” with a handle that Home Depot had and applied the stain pretty thick. If I remember right I let the stain sit on it for about 15 minutes.
If you get rough sawn that is fairly green be sure to support it well (lots of frequent supports under it) and let it dry so it doesn’t warp on you. Without going through a kiln you also have to be concerned about it bluing, nice “t-shirt” weather is prime for bluing to start. Cooler is better to not have bluing.
I think doing some sample runs on scrap is a great idea.
Here’s how the mantle turned out. Sanded and ready for stain and finished. I realize you aren’t wanting to sand but hope this helps.
F693FFFC-10CF-438F-8D3B-3E727AD17167.jpeg
AF9304AE-EE9D-477E-AC2D-13B046C5C019.jpeg

@renegadehunter

The pine I have is older. I've had it for many years. Have no idea if was kiln dried but it has layed in the rafters of my garage for years. Do you remember the brand/color of stain? The color of your mantle is about what she's looking for.

Your pine will be fine if you’ve had it that long, it’s green you have to worry about.
I don’t remember the stain color but still have it. When I get home I’ll snap a pic of it.

Back