• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stain to “yellow” hickory ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. Just finishing my build and want my hickory ram rod to be a “yellow-ish” stain. Not solid yellow obviously but a opaque(?) yellow tinted stain. Ideally I love the look of the dark “scratch” or grain beneath that yellowish stain. Would my Permalyn finish achieve the yellow I am looking for? The ramrod is a light natural color. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hickory is very difficult to stain. Most of the stain will be wiped off during handling. You can try to flame the hickory then apply the stain or leave off the stain and steel wool back the charred wood surface to leave a light browned toned look. :dunno:

You could try an Amber shellac hand wiped 3 or four coats it's called a French polish

Hello all. Just finishing my build and want my hickory ram rod to be a “yellow-ish” stain. Not solid yellow obviously but a opaque(?) yellow tinted stain. Ideally I love the look of the dark “scratch” or grain beneath that yellowish stain. Would my Permalyn finish achieve the yellow I am looking for? The ramrod is a light natural color. Thanks in advance.
Try, on a similar piece of wood, some common Rit dye, a strong mix. Bet it would give the yellow you want, kind of translucent. Let us know how it works. For $1.59 and a cup of water, it might be worth a 'shot', no pun intended.

I use black leather dye. For finish I use carnuba wax. I put the wax on a rag and rub the rod fast enough the melt the wax. Spinning the rod in a lathe works great to melt the wax. Both can be refreshed as they wear.

You can get lacquer stain in any color at a real paint store. It works like leather dye. Maybe they have yellow lather dye? A final possible idea is artists' oil paint. You may be describing "raw sienna".

You can use Fiebing Leather Dye (Alcohol Based). The have a Yellow, but it is a fairly bright goldfinch yellow. Click on the link and enter color, they also have a color chart. Final color will depend on how light or dark the wood is.
Fiebing Leather Dye

Great ideas all. Thanks.
Hey Cyrus, I have some of the Fiebings Yellow on hand. If you want, I can stain an end of one of the ramrod blanks I bought from TOW, shoot a photo and see if it works for you. If you were close by, I would pour off some for you. I'm sitting on a quart that I've had for about 30 years.

You could try paint. Pick a color you like, paint the rod, let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off and it should color the wood.

I use the dye as well. If I want it darker I use tannic acid then aqua Fortis and blush it to a reddish brown. For a yellow the dye should work for you. Test it on a scrap if you have any.

I make hickory arrows from time to time, I don't find hickory hard to stain although it may take several coats. I use Minwax or Fiblings leather dye

This hickory arrow has Minwax golden oak stain on the bottom and medium brown leather dye on the top.

hickory stain.JPG

The stain that really makes hickory pop is aqufortis, this is after blushing.

AQ and hickory.JPG

I like to make my ramrods disappear under the barrel and match them to the stock stain.

This one had aqufortis followed by diluted mahogany leather dye applied until I had a match with the stock wood.

haines entry pipe.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back