• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stain color?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORBushman

"In the Woods"
Reaction score
Hello all you builders! I'm going to be putting together a Traditions Crockett rifle kit as soon as it arrives and my plans are to make it different than others out there. I don't want to have the usual walnut/brown or in that area of color. Was thinking of a black or charcoal stock and dress it up with some brass tacks. What would y'all suggest for a stain color for what I'm looking to achieve? As always, appreciate the help in advance! :)

Looking to achieve something similar to this:

pix006480720.jpg

The first thing to do is to get some kind of similar wood to practice on. Then I recommend a black stain or what they call an ebony toner. Fiebings leather dye works well. You can find it on the internet. Even India ink might work. Rub it out with steel wool or scotch bright until you get the look you want. The main idea is to try it on something else besides the stock first.

The first thing to do is to get some kind of similar wood to practice on. Then I recommend a black stain or what they call an ebony toner. Fiebings leather dye works well. You can find it on the internet. Even India ink might work. Rub it out with steel wool or scotch bright until you get the look you want. The main idea is to try it on something else besides the stock first.
Greatly appreciate the reply and suggestions. Not sure what I could use that is the same wood as the Traditions hardwood but, guess I could put a little on the butt end where the brass is going to cover it anyway? I'll look up the Fiebings. :thumb:

It is probably beech, unless it specifies something else.

Two suggestions, one of which you'll need to look up.

#1 tannic acid and ferric nitrate. If you don't sand, wash, or otherwise remove the tannins, you will get nearly black. You can apply the tannins over the nitrate to dial in what you want. Watch the Kibler video on this, he talks about dialing it back and forth.

#2 Iron acetate, I haven't looked into this very much, but supposed to be really dark to black. Ebonize: How to naturally stain wood - Talla de Cucharas might still require tannic acid solution, or tea bags, steeped leaves, etc.

If you want a dark/blackish stain, do not use oil based stains like Minwax. Oil stains will not penetrate beech. It will lay on the surface and look muddy. I should correct that. It will look muddy and ugly.

You want an alcohol based stain. Buy some Trans Tint stain and some denatured alcohol. Expensive but it will provide a deep dark color.

And test test test.

Newbie here, but I agree on not using oil-based stain.

I used Keda Dye's powders on my Traditions Kentucky. I needed to mix it with a high percentage of alcohol to penetrate Tradition's beech wood. Even then, it was hard to get it even, particularly on the fore end.
I've always had good results with alcohol based dyes on stocks..., even when that dye was made for leather, not wood.

LD

I have read about making your own dye out of vinegar and steel wool. Just soak the steel wool in the vinegar for a few weeks and it will get very dark as the steel wool dissolves. Works good on leather, don't know about wood. Might be worth a try. I think its called vinegaroon.

I did quite a bit of work on my Crockett stock to refine the shape. When it came time to stain it I experimented. I tried potassium dichròmate to age the wood. It looked like an old weathered fence post. I wound up sanding it back and putting LMF walnut on it. Don't sand the beechwood with anything finer than 320 grit. A polished finish won't accept stain.

Latest posts

Back