• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel season is open!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the poplar flowers, yes, I noticed them on the ground but never knew that squirrels eat them. Makes sense, though. They don't just nibble on nuts all the time. Those pictured above are yellow poplar, aka Tulip Poplar due to the flowering buds. Hmm, all I was really searching for were squirrels in the top of the oak, beech and hickory trees. Now I will begin looking on the poplar trees this time of year. Learn something new daily, if I keep an open mind.

Same here, bro. I've noticed them in the past a few times but never really paid that much attention to it. Had it not been for a couple of them almost hitting me in the top of the head I might still not know. But I've never hunted the early season either.

Honestly, this time of year, I have recently learned that it would behoove one to scan the tops of all trees. No telling what kind of buds they may be eating on.

Last edited:
Snakebit, does the new solid brass ramrod fit snugly in the thimbles unlike the shoddy stock ramrod does? And could you please forward a link to which particular ramrod you purchased? I've been to that site but have not been able to come up with anything.

Thank you.

Snakebit, does the new solid brass ramrod fit snugly in the thimbles unlike the shoddy stock ramrod does? And could you please forward a link to which particular ramrod you purchased? I've been to that site but have not been able to come up with anything.

Thank you.
https://logcabinshop.com/oc30/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=24497Here you go buddy. And yes, I'm very happy with it.

After measuring the I.D. of thimbles, I went ahead and ordered a 5/16 unfinished hickory ramrod, 48" long, and some tips from TOTW. Hope it works out well. Factory ramrod is too small for the thimbles. Considering both are metallic, as well as the slop, no wonder its so darn noisy. Literally have been stopping, finding a small twig, and wedging it between the ramrod and thimbles to keep it from clanging while walking slowly through the woods.

Not acceptable!

Last edited:
I did the same. Sanded it down and striped it with a torch. Put a coat of stain on it but not dark enough. Need to get darker stain.
I haven’t been in a big hurry to finish it as I use a brass range rod at the range. Need to get the hickory one done for September. Knowing me, I’ll get it done two days before squirrel season. 🙄

I did the same. Sanded it down and striped it with a torch. Put a coat of stain on it but not dark enough. Need to get darker stain.
I haven’t been in a big hurry to finish it as I use a brass range rod at the range. Need to get the hickory one done for September. Knowing me, I’ll get it done two days before squirrel season. 🙄
You mean like me last year not fixing the hole in my possibles bad and having to stuff everything in my pockets? Yep, me to a T. Weasel skins are handy for carrying 32 caliber balls in your shirt pocket I must say.😉

Turkey season over with time to chase a few tree rats before the season closes, for those looking for an easy way to clean them check this way out

Well now, he certainly makes it look easy. Even more of a reason for head shots and why not to shoot a squirrel in the body, thus leaving a large hole in their sides.

I'll be giving that method of cleaning a squirrel a try IF I can ever hit one in the head.

Thanks for the information.

Turkey season over with time to chase a few tree rats before the season closes, for those looking for an easy way to clean them check this way out

Okay guys, just tried the squirrel cleaning method in the link. It worked out okay for the most part on two squirrels. One was a head shot and the other I hit forward of the front legs. No doubt that the only way this method will work on a squirrel (other than if its shot with a scatter gun) is with a head shot or a forward body shot. But it works okay and keeps the mess down, as well as hair from getting on the meat IF its done properly.

Pretty sure I'll be using this method as much as I can.

Now for this ole boy, the real challenge is hitting squirrels in the head or forward of the front legs. They often do not offer much of a target especially when they are way up yonder in a tree.

Hahaha, I’m trying. I might have to wait til next week. My daughter and grandkids are coming to visit!! I’ll keep working at it. I even googled it. This is way out of my league.
62771A68-5905-48D7-958D-894D2CA43482.png
62771A68-5905-48D7-958D-894D2CA43482.png

Last edited:
Squirrel opens on Saturday here in the Old Dominion, but I have a retirement/change of command to attend. Maybe in the evening… there’s usually a few hanging around the bird feeder, irritating my poor old dog. But on Monday I plan to take the flintlock .40 out…
Jay

Squirrel season opened today here,and it's right time to hunt them,it used to open earlier not sure when it changed,Dad always said no squirrel hunting until mulberries are ripe,and today first day we've had few ripe ones,in couple days it'll be mulberry jam and squirrel hunting time.I probably would of went today but been patching pasture fence all day,and swinging by house every 3 or 4 hours to descale and retreat barrel im browning,hopefully next Monday or Tuesday I'll get to go and get a couple..

Back