• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Season in Kansas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just realized the squirrel season opened June 1st here in Kansas. I may need to see if I can bag a tree rat or two if the ticks don't carry me off. They are very bad in this area right now. The little pencil dot deer ticks are especially bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's early. It's Sept. 20th - Dec. 15th here. I'd love to have something else to chase in the summer.

I opened squirrel season in Alabama this week after seeing the squirrels eat their way through a sizable portion of my blueberry crop over the last few weeks. I think I got them all.

Thanks Brokennock, I saw that thread earlier and may have to try it for treks into the woods.

We have also been having an outbreak of oak mites here and if you get near oak trees they can be bad. Oak mites bite similar to chiggers, but don't repel with Deet. We had them bad last Fall too and the mild winter didn't seem to slow them down.

Squirrel hunting just seems wrong when the fish are biting! I love the walk in the squirrel woods in the Fall with the crackling of Autumn leaves changing colors and Limb Bacon barking at my call! Summertime is Catfish, Bass and Crappie time here!

Rick

I agree with you Rick about the fishing. But there may be a day or two when I just get the itch to chase a few tree rats this summer. Also, when September comes and even in October there will still be plenty of leaves and green under brush in the woods around here.

When the brazen sun of summer tames into the cooling refreshment of the fall season in the Ozarks, and the leaves change their green mantle for the multicolored glorious shades, That's the time to hunt the limb runners. The cool breeze of olden times and hickory smoke awakens the senses of kin folks and hunts long past, and the squirrel rifle gleams in the kitchen the evening before the hunt, as you prepare patches and bag horn and fixings in the leather bullet pouch. There is no finer feeling than stepping out the back gate of the yard of overgrown garden waste into the darkened woods with a muzzle loader when the air is fresh and alive and the squirrels are barking a challenge in the slightly frosty morning. Summer squirrel hunt? Not me. George.

I agree with treestalker about the fall, with the rainbow drenched leaves and the smell of the ripened mast crop, but my blood begins to stir after the August 15 opening, here in Indiana, and I will hunt during a light rain or foggy day. I am glad to be a Hoosier once again. Keep yer powder dry........robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I haven't dug the 32 out yet either. It is just too darn hot with temperatures approaching 100. I did notice the last few days that we have a black squirrel coming around our deck on the back of the house and trying to raid the bird feeder. This is the first black one I've seen around here. Marysville Kansas is known for black squirrels, but most of ours are the normal red ones.

I just can't bring myself to pop one off the deck at the house. Not much sport in that unless it becomes a real problem such as tearing into the house.

Back