• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel Season 2022

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim K, I really like the pattern on your stock in the tang area. It reminds me of something... A brook trout maybe.
Looks more like a California Golden Trout!
California_golden_trout.jpeg

When I could still pull a bow. I archery hunted deer,Seem that I could have shot a plckup load of Squirrels.Go Squirrel hunting i wouldn't see a one.Go figure......I saw a black fox squirrel yesterday I wouldn't shoot him..I like the deversity..... Be Safe>>>>>>Wally

Just not seeing as many squirrels here in CT this year as I have in years past. In fact, I sat for 4 hours on my deer stand the other day and never saw a single squirrel when usually there are 5-6 of them all around me driving me crazy. I wonder if the Gypsy moth invasion of a year or two ago may have something to do with the lack of squirrels.

My OPINION and only that, Is that since there is absolutley NO FUR MARKET...No One is WASTING time and gas on trapping our PREDATORS. Which has had a devastating effect on all of our small game and game birds. I don't Condone killing Predators just to throw them in the ditch..In Nebraska in the last 10 yrs. there has been an Explosion of Predators, Bob cats are common now, even seeing MOUNTAIN LION all over the state. With the Cats being so tightly regulated or OFF LIMITS, this Year I think the DEER numbers are off, with seeing less FAWNS....I don't like it , but we are gonna have to throw some fur in the ditch, or work it up and make something out of it ourselves to try for our gas money....We gotta do something to help Mother Earth find Balance again,,The Aulturnitive is DISEASE & FAMINE.. Makes a Quick Bullet seem VERY Humane......Be Safe >>>>>>>>>>>Wally

Finally managed to get out into the woods this morning in southern Illinois and do some squirrel hunting with my Pedersoli .32 Frontier rifle. Shot at 3 squirrels, managed to get 2 of the 3. Was refreshing to just get out in the peace and quiet. Hunted some and spent some time just sitting under a tree reading my Bible and praying. Need to get out more often!
07565C60-29AD-483E-A920-B67334016714.jpeg

My plan for the hunting season, was to hunt squirrel the last two weeks of September and scout for deer. Then bow hunt until I got a deer and then go back to squirrel hunting with my Crockett. I have only seen one squirrel all fall, of course while bow hunting.

My OPINION and only that, Is that since there is absolutley NO FUR MARKET...No One is WASTING time and gas on trapping our PREDATORS. Which has had a devastating effect on all of our small game and game birds. I don't Condone killing Predators just to throw them in the ditch..In Nebraska in the last 10 yrs. there has been an Explosion of Predators, Bob cats are common now, even seeing MOUNTAIN LION all over the state. With the Cats being so tightly regulated or OFF LIMITS, this Year I think the DEER numbers are off, with seeing less FAWNS....I don't like it , but we are gonna have to throw some fur in the ditch, or work it up and make something out of it ourselves to try for our gas money....We gotta do something to help Mother Earth find Balance again,,The Aulturnitive is DISEASE & FAMINE.. Makes a Quick Bullet seem VERY Humane......Be Safe >>>>>>>>>>>Wally
I’m about to start putting out steel, if the rain lets up, only because I want to toss some fur in the ditch just to save some ground nesting birds. I agree with you it’s a shame, but the alternative of too many little furry predators is not good. I won’t spend the long time and effort to tan my own hides any more, just not worth it. Takes huge amounts of time and elbow grease for literally nothing in return. Gave away my tanning chemicals to budding taxidermist. Hopefully the Russians and Chinese begin buying fur again soon. They are the main drivers of the North American wild fur markets. But Russia is busy spending its money invading its neighbor, and the Chinese middle income people are not presently middle income. Just a big danged shame

I did hear recently that Iowa is putting a Bounty on Coon.They do not have the details worked out , but are going to by fall.Coon are tear ing up too much property,and ruining Game Bird Nests. The Auto INSURANCE industry is also backing this and looking for something to be done for Deer....Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally

Last edited:
I’m about to start putting out steel, if the rain lets up, only because I want to toss some fur in the ditch just to save some ground nesting birds. I agree with you it’s a shame, but the alternative of too many little furry predators is not good. I won’t spend the long time and effort to tan my own hides any more, just not worth it. Takes huge amounts of time and elbow grease for literally nothing in return. Gave away my tanning chemicals to budding taxidermist. Hopefully the Russians and Chinese begin buying fur again soon. They are the main drivers of the North American wild fur markets. But Russia is busy spending its money invading its neighbor, and the Chinese middle income people are not presently middle income. Just a big danged shame
I'm about to trap coon just to kill them too. I start my day job at 4am so leaving the house at 330, I see way to many coon and opossum. I hit as many as I can with the car.

I'm about to trap coon just to kill them too. I start my day job at 4am so leaving the house at 330, I see way to many coon and opossum. I hit as many as I can with the car.
My neighbor has been trapping at my place the last few years. It has definitely helped the turkeys. If he stops trapping, I’ll do it myself.

My neighbor has been trapping at my place the last few years. It has definitely helped the turkeys. If he stops trapping, I’ll do it myself.
Even just a few live traps can do wonders for a property. A coon here, possum there, skunk here, another coon there and suddenly whippoorwills are setting up ground nests because they finally have found a safe place to raise a few babies. Same goes for pheasants in Iowa, Nebraska and the Dakotas

Back