• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel Season 2022

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot squirrels from my patio. They bounce along the hedge to get at my apples and nuts From across the road from a wooded hill but don’t shoot the deer I use a bsa pcp. Scorpio 177 and .22. Cross hairs at 50yards and iIt blows their heads offf squirrels. The rabbits gone to blood pox. Plenty of foxes love them but shoot em on farm vermin in uk

I have to be careful as uk police have rats I mean informers

I am a 79 year old collector

Other than wall hangers of before 1850 the only active guns are my pcp airguns above.

I hammered a lead ball through a .523” bore late flintlock day 1840.????? But I thought the riffling 38” twist was more for bullets than patched balls it could be German I guess but nothin like a jäger more an English target rifle. Who knows
M

Attachments

• 9E7A9A8F-F677-4B9A-81A0-DA62E6B47B3E.jpeg
    9E7A9A8F-F677-4B9A-81A0-DA62E6B47B3E.jpeg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 84ED9B01-6E8D-4BE9-8204-4964A48BEED6.jpeg
    84ED9B01-6E8D-4BE9-8204-4964A48BEED6.jpeg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 0
  • AF89555D-0048-4840-8D73-855F1B78BCE8.jpeg
    AF89555D-0048-4840-8D73-855F1B78BCE8.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 0
  • C495AB2D-872C-4633-B571-F179D24C737B.jpeg
    C495AB2D-872C-4633-B571-F179D24C737B.jpeg
    852.1 KB · Views: 0
  • E5580A0D-5502-4B65-B9D1-A039EBEB3AC8.jpeg
    E5580A0D-5502-4B65-B9D1-A039EBEB3AC8.jpeg
    804.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4161A6D1-0BF9-4909-A1D5-D3F303CAF37F.jpeg
    4161A6D1-0BF9-4909-A1D5-D3F303CAF37F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • FE14C8AF-990C-4A16-BE63-D532B3F34E65.jpeg
    FE14C8AF-990C-4A16-BE63-D532B3F34E65.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 241F233D-B055-47FA-97A4-1D9CE540C23F.jpeg
    241F233D-B055-47FA-97A4-1D9CE540C23F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My favorite time of the year. Would rather squirrel hunt than anything else
.40 cal is my preference but i have a .36 I pull out too

This is from Friday here in central PA

Writing this while watching a few work some far trees on an island in the Susquehanna with one already in the bag. Doesn’t get better

Good luck to those that get the fever you will likely never be cured. Most fun muzzleloader hunting there is.
One more you would’ve had your limit. That was a good day. :thumb:

There’s no squirrel limit in the Uk. That’s on the American greys. Red squirrels are protected. City dwellers “ please don’t shoot the little furry animals “‘. Had the police and RSPCA. Around before. Both said I was doing a great job if it was humanly done , police said don’t advertise and put it on my record , they taste nice. Have to be well cooked as the greys carry a pox that kills red squirrels. Still cannot master ripping the skin off so it takes me ages I can only use pcp 177 and 22 pump up, too many houses here. No real wild country here no bears no elk just rabbits and squirrels hedgehogs and badgers
My pcp Airguns but can outshoot a shotgun. Best guns I ever bought. 1/2” groups at 50yards getting a bit rough at 70yards

“Sweetly “. My sons wild badger. They have a very nasty bight and are a bit unpredictable

Attachments

• IMG_2552.MOV
    4 MB
There’s no squirrel limit in the Uk. That’s on the American greys. Red squirrels are protected. City dwellers “ please don’t shoot the little furry animals “‘. Had the police and RSPCA. Around before. Both said I was doing a great job if it was humanly done , police said don’t advertise and put it on my record , they taste nice. Have to be well cooked as the greys carry a pox that kills red squirrels. Still cannot master ripping the skin off so it takes me ages I can only use pcp 177 and 22 pump up, too many houses here. No real wild country here no bears no elk just rabbits and squirrels hedgehogs and badgers
My pcp Airguns but can outshoot a shotgun. Best guns I ever bought. 1/2” groups at 50yards getting a bit rough at 70yards

“Sweetly “. My sons wild badger. They have a very nasty bight and are a bit unpredictable
I didn’t realize you were from a different country. In Pennsylvania we’re allowed 6 squirrels daily. You may be a little crazy petting a badger. To me he looked like he was getting irritated.

Beautiful day here today in PA. Took the day off to hunt squirrels. Got one this morning and had one pan flash. First one since I got the gun. Not sure why. But anyhow, saw quite a few but they were my only shots.

It’s warmed up a lot. Going back in shortly and try again this afternoon.

I wish I could do this more. Two more years and I’m semi retiring.

I didn’t realize you were from a different country. In Pennsylvania we’re allowed 6 squirrels daily. You may be a little crazy petting a badger. To me he looked like he was getting irritated.
Yes Sweetly came down every evening rattling the doors for peanuts Stephen started brushing him with a longish brush it’s eaten peanuts out of my hand. When they fight each other they are ferocious, no badgers come near sweatlys peanuts. So be careful with them. Had him three years loads of them on the hill. That was 3 years ago just before he moved house Stephen Courtney is on google as he’s concept director of Dyson , hates hunting guns and prefers to be a vegitarian I hate the so called healthy food he eats

In my neck of the woods here in pa, the squirrell population has crashed due to our wonderful game commission releasing fishers and martens. I was hinting Saturday and found a bird of prey that had become somethings lunch

Spent 9 days hunting turkeys in central pa near Woodward saw 1 squirrel. Our population of squirrels has gone to almost nothing. Almost afraid to shoot one for fear it could be the last one and I would be responsible for their extinction.

I want to take my trade gun out for a few but my 6 year old daughter has been all to excited to go. So I took her opening day and she got her first one.
Dad can wait, it's about the kids now!

Do you guys like hunting with shot for squirrel or small caliber rifles?View attachment 162398
Now THIS is a picture suitable for framing!

Today was opening day in Pa. I’ve been waiting for this. The last two years I’ve been hunting with a .32 T/C Cherokee. I enjoyed it a lot but I wanted a flintlock. So I ordered a .36 Kibler SMR this summer and put it together.
I went out this morning and got two shots. I miss and one squirrel. Nice cool still and clear morning. I hope to get out some more next week.

Let’s keep this thread going. I love reading you guys stories and pictures.View attachment 161693

I was able to get out a couple of times before deer season came in here in NC, no squirrels sighted but I did find some good deer sign...So, I have switched to my .54 for a few weeks...This is my .40 caliber Bob Watts rifle that I bought from him in the late '70s when he had a store in Stone Mountain, GA...Good luck all!!

IMG_5060.jpeg

:D I have seen groundhogs in trees already. Maybe around 10 feet or so was the highest I’ve seen them in a tree. This squirrel hit a branch or two on the way down. Thought for sure I had em. 3 groundhog holes at the base of the tree. I’m sure something will find him for a easy meal.
I’d never seen a groundhog up a tree before this summer, when I shot one out of a peach tree. Little sob had climbed up high to eat my peaches. Was one of those “ya learn somethin new every day” moments

Latest posts

Back