• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Season 2022

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim K, I really like the pattern on your stock in the tang area. It reminds me of something... A brook trout maybe.
Thank you. It’s different. I was hoping for tight curls but it’s ok. I also wanted it more red. Guess I need to get another one. Lol. Glad my wife doesn’t get on here.

I want to take my trade gun out for a few but my 6 year old daughter has been all to excited to go. So I took her opening day and she got her first one.
Dad can wait, it's about the kids now!

Do you guys like hunting with shot for squirrel or small caliber rifles?View attachment 162398
Great job being a dad first. I like shot this time of year when it is leafy and small bore the rest of the year. Will be starting soon with my .45 smoothie then going to the .36. also just bought a .32 squirrel pistol I'm hankering to try once the leaves are down.

I hunted this morning at my place. I never considered it great squirrel woods but there are some. I saw more there than the great squirrel woods I drive 50 miles to get to.

I got two shots and missed them both. Squirrel heads are small😁.

Saw two doe and a fawn, some turkeys and had a hummingbird fly right up to my face(we have to wear fluorescent orange hat and vest in PA). I guess it thought I was a big bright flower. It went above my hat brim. Couldn’t tell if it touched my hat or not. Made me smile.

It was a great morning even if my shooting wasn’t.

I got out with my 14 year old son today for a little while. This was the first time we had a chance to hunt a little since the season opened last weekend here in West Virginia. He got 2 squirrels with a modern shotgun and I got 1 with my smoothbore 20 gauge. It was just a beautiful day to be out in the woods with my boy. My squirrel was shot at about 15 yards on the ground. My load was 70 grains of 2f goex, green striped maple leaf wad, 70 grain volume #5 shot followed by another green striped maple leaf. A great day in the WV mountains!
20220917_133657.jpg

Went to Shade mountain in PA to scout for deer/bear sign. And do some squirrel hunting. Found some bear poop and saw 2 deer but no squirrels. No fresh sign at this spring. Went to another place to do the same. Saw 1 deer and heard one snorting. Seen a few squirrels but only got a shot at one of them.

Attachments

• 06D45580-E36D-4E32-B98F-1CE24EA7F40D.jpeg
    06D45580-E36D-4E32-B98F-1CE24EA7F40D.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 7DD16FBC-9178-4EB5-8DF4-052533E68A6B.jpeg
    7DD16FBC-9178-4EB5-8DF4-052533E68A6B.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
I’m glad y
Went to Shade mountain in PA to scout for deer/bear sign. And do some squirrel hunting. Found some bear poop and saw 2 deer but no squirrels. No fresh sign at this spring. Went to another place to do the same. Saw 1 deer and heard one snorting. Seen a few squirrels but only got a shot at one of them.
im glad you got out and got one. Sure was a nice day. I was out and saw some but didn’t get a shot. It will be nice when some of these leaves come down. How’s the acorn crop on the Shade? It’s not real heavy here in Dauphin Co.

Acorn’s are dropping. Some leaves are starting to fall too. I was surprised there was not much sign at this spring other than a deer trail. A different spring (almost dried up) I checked out a week ago had a lot of deer tracks. Very few squirrels there.

Went out last week and missed two and got one almost back at my truck.It was my first flintlock kill.My little pedersoli (named Little Audrey) .32 loaded with 15 grains of fffg goex brought it down. I felt like I did 55years ago when I got my first squirrel.Flintlocks open a whole new world
Congratulations. I got my first with a flintlock this year too. It’s challenging and fun. I hope you get some more.!

I got out this afternoon for a few hours. It was cool and breezy and the squirrels were out. I saw a number but only got shots at two. The first was a klatch 😡. Changed flints and got the next one. The leaves are changing and what a joy to be in the woods. I hope to get out a couple more times this week.

As a taxidermist, my woods time will soon be over as the deer roll in. I’m trying to get out as much as possible.

While I no longer hunt I used to go out several days a week looking for squirrels. But then as now I've always preferred & used a rifle. I killed them with .32s, .36, .45 and .58. The one I killed with the .58 (early 1970s) is stuffed and mounted in my gunroom. The rifle just suits me.
DSC00382.jpg

The coon was taken with a revolver.

Hanshi, what kinda squirrel is that? Very unique with the colors it has. Maybe a southwest breed?

Southern fox squirrel. No matter what color phase, they always have a white nose and ears. The last time I hunted Georgia for turkeys, I saw a jet black one with white nose and ears. I was drooling!!
Ok. Thanks for the info. It’s pretty cool looking. I would like to get a black squirrel here in Pa. I understand I gotta go to the upper 1/2 of PA to find one.

Ok. Thanks for the info. It’s pretty cool looking. I would like to get a black squirrel here in Pa. I understand I gotta go to the upper 1/2 of PA to find one.
pretty much but a guy told me today he moved to Enola and said they’re all around his neighborhood. My daughter lives in Michigan and has black fox squirrels on their property. I’m going to try and get one this winter.

Today was opening day in Pa. I’ve been waiting for this. The last two years I’ve been hunting with a .32 T/C Cherokee. I enjoyed it a lot but I wanted a flintlock. So I ordered a .36 Kibler SMR this summer and put it together.
I went out this morning and got two shots. I miss and one squirrel. Nice cool still and clear morning. I hope to get out some more next week.

Let’s keep this thread going. I love reading you guys stories and pictures.View attachment 161693

While I no longer hunt I used to go out several days a week looking for squirrels. But then as now I've always preferred & used a rifle. I killed them with .32s, .36, .45 and .58. The one I killed with the .58 (early 1970s) is stuffed and mounted in my gunroom. The rifle just suits me.
DSC00382.jpg

The coon was taken with a revolver.
Great photo! What did you shoot that mount of a hand and finger with? In death, the finger is the ultimate sign of defiance.

My favorite time of the year. Would rather squirrel hunt than anything else
.40 cal is my preference but i have a .36 I pull out too

This is from Friday here in central PA

Writing this while watching a few work some far trees on an island in the Susquehanna with one already in the bag. Doesn’t get better

Good luck to those that get the fever you will likely never be cured. Most fun muzzleloader hunting there is.

Attachments

• 32843C63-2E37-492E-B8E5-105560F51E53.jpeg
    32843C63-2E37-492E-B8E5-105560F51E53.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back