• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel Season 2022

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was opening day in Pa. I’ve been waiting for this. The last two years I’ve been hunting with a .32 T/C Cherokee. I enjoyed it a lot but I wanted a flintlock. So I ordered a .36 Kibler SMR this summer and put it together.
I went out this morning and got two shots. I miss and one squirrel. Nice cool still and clear morning. I hope to get out some more next week.

Let’s keep this thread going. I love reading you guys stories and pictures.
B61F1270-6E4A-4B1C-B77E-837913767E3E.jpeg

Our season opened on Sept 1. I have gone out two times since then on the cool mornings before the bugs come out. So far I have seen over a dozen squirrels, but only manage to get 3 with 5 shots using my Blevins .32 Flint lock. The squirrels are staying high in the Hickory trees so the only shots I will take are of those squirrels coming down the tree trunk or on the ground. If I was interested in only bagging squirrel, I would take my 15 gauge Belgium shotgun with #5 shot to get those squirrels in the tree tops. I prefer to take squirrels with a rifle, and really, it is all about the hunt not so much bagging game and an excuse to get away from yard work.

Today was opening day in Pa. I’ve been waiting for this. The last two years I’ve been hunting with a .32 T/C Cherokee. I enjoyed it a lot but I wanted a flintlock. So I ordered a .36 Kibler SMR this summer and put it together.
I went out this morning and got two shots. I miss and one squirrel. Nice cool still and clear morning. I hope to get out some more next week.

Let’s keep this thread going. I love reading you guys stories and pictures.View attachment 161693
congrats, hunting squirrel my fav animal to hunt!!!!

I’m ready for the cooler weather to get here. Our squirrel season only closes for a couple of months a year in AR. It’s just to hot and too many ticks most of the season. Hopefully the SMR I have on order will be in soon for use this fall and winter. I’m going to try my hands with a .40 cal. Legal for small and big game here.

Jim you have a nice setup. I like the dark color of the stock. :thumb: Yesterday in PA I went out in the morning. Seen 7 deer and a few squirrels. Shot one out of a big walnut tree only to go down a groundhog hole. 🤬

Jim you have a nice setup. I like the dark color of the stock. :thumb: Yesterday in PA I went out in the morning. Seen 7 deer and a few squirrels. Shot one out of a big walnut tree only to go down a groundhog hole. 🤬
Sure it wasn’t one of those pesky Pennsylvania tree-climbing’ Woodchucks?😂

Sure it wasn’t one of those pesky Pennsylvania tree-climbing’ Woodchucks?😂
:D I have seen groundhogs in trees already. Maybe around 10 feet or so was the highest I’ve seen them in a tree. This squirrel hit a branch or two on the way down. Thought for sure I had em. 3 groundhog holes at the base of the tree. I’m sure something will find him for a easy meal.

:D I have seen groundhogs in trees already. Maybe around 10 feet or so was the highest I’ve seen them in a tree. This squirrel hit a branch or two on the way down. Thought for sure I had em. 3 groundhog holes at the base of the tree. I’m sure something will find him for a easy meal.
Last year I shot a squirrel up in a tree about 25' above the ground with my .32 flint lock. It was a perfect head shot, unfortunately for me the squirrel fell into the crotch of a tree limb about 15' above the ground and I couldn't retrieve it. I tried using cut limbs to fish the squirrel out of the crotch but had no luck. Finally gave up, but counted the squirrel in my bag for the day.

I want to take my trade gun out for a few but my 6 year old daughter has been all to excited to go. So I took her opening day and she got her first one.
Dad can wait, it's about the kids now!

Do you guys like hunting with shot for squirrel or small caliber rifles?
PXL_20220910_110853089.PORTRAIT.jpg

Back