• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Season 2020

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m out here in Nevada. I sure wish we had squirrel hunting! Never had (eaten) one. I would however trade one of you gents a jackrabbit for one!

Oh, by the way, we have squirrels but they live in the dirt. Should I pop one one and try it? The Natives eat ’em!

smooth-bore musket 62 caliber = 14 Ga
SAM_0066.JPG

Posted this elsewhere but figured I'd add it here too. First one I've shot with my 36 caliber rifle. Had a blast doing it.
Nice. Looks like a fox squirrel. I like that rifle too. I plan on getting out this week to see if I can shoot a couple.
James

26DEC2020. Was out most of the afternoon today. This morning brought in a cold snap and the ridges were a bit windy. Not a one squirrel showed himself while I was in the woods. Anyone else have any luck? I was hunting with my new( to me) Kibler rifle I purchased from a muzzleloading shop at what I thought a good price for this finished kit in used condition. I was hoping to shoot a couple squirrels with it for dinner.
Anyways the rifle carrys nice in the woods and shoots pretty well also. I'm still tuning the load for this .32 caliber. I really like it stocked in this fine curly maple.
Regards,
James

26DEC2020. Was out most of the afternoon today. This morning brought in a cold snap and the ridges were a bit windy. Not a one squirrel showed himself while I was in the woods. Anyone else have any luck? I was hunting with my new( to me) Kibler rifle I purchased from a muzzleloading shop at what I thought a good price for this finished kit in used condition. I was hoping to shoot a couple squirrels with it for dinner.
Anyways the rifle carrys nice in the woods and shoots pretty well also. I'm still tuning the load for this .32 caliber. I really like it stocked in this fine curly maple.
Regards,
James
Nice rifle James. I haven’t been out since October. I’ve been super busy in my shop. I’m hoping to get out some this coming week. I’ll report when I do. Jim

Today while watching the bird/squirrel feeder, my wife began hooting and hollering. She yelled "it killed it". A squirrel killed a chickadee. Then the wife said, "OMG it's eating it". I came running and saw the squirrel holding the chickadee like corn on the cob rotating and biting it. It wasn't eating it, just making sure it was good and dead. Then carried it up the tree about 8 feet and dropped it. I have seen squirrels actually eat birds before and just kill them. If you're a bird, don't mess with Mr. Squirrel.

Today while watching the bird/squirrel feeder, my wife began hooting and hollering. She yelled "it killed it". A squirrel killed a chickadee. Then the wife said, "OMG it's eating it". I came running and saw the squirrel holding the chickadee like corn on the cob rotating and biting it. It wasn't eating it, just making sure it was good and dead. Then carried it up the tree about 8 feet and dropped it. I have seen squirrels actually eat birds before and just kill them. If you're a bird, don't mess with Mr. Squirrel.
Well now. Have never seen that before. I suppose squirrels can be territorial.

Well now. Have never seen that before. I suppose squirrels can be territorial.

I don't think this was the case according to my wife's description and what I have observed previously. It was purely defensive. The bird I saw eaten was already dead in the middle of winter. (That's the harsh north winter, not the cushy Texas winter) The bird I saw killed was trapped in the feeder and got between the squirrel and the exit. The squirrel gave the bird 3 chances to get past it, but the bird attacked the squirrel and the squirrel made short work of the bird. My wife's description was similar. I watch squirrels every day. They are very fascinating.
I've never seen a squirrel chase or molest a bird before.

Like many other rodents squirrels are essentially omnivorous. Even deer will eat small animals in certain circumstances. Nature can be brutal in our way of thinking.

Latest posts

Back