• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Season 2020

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have greys, and fox squirrels in my neck of the woods, sometimes there is a black or white one that will show up, I watched a coal black one the last two years while deer hunting so I go back with the .32 and guess what Mr. black did not show up, you will have color variations in squirrels some times kind of like a piebald deer but it is rare here. Also the fox squirrels like to be near water for some reason.
Where are you located? The color varieties are pretty cool.

Here’s some southern fox squirrels i did from N Carolina except the top one of the double is a PA squirrel. I saw the silver ones too in Georgia. Cool squirrels!View attachment 45419View attachment 45420

Those are super nice mounts. Fox squirrels just look so nice when done well - and taste so good when well done. I haven't been hunting in my native Georgia in over 12 years and I miss it.

Im sitting on stand now after a really good morning hunt. The wind has picked up and activity is down. I was able to get out of the shop the whole day and hunt. Im so thankful!!
This morning i got 5 shots and 3 squirrels.
Have a great weekend friends.
0039F2E7-B5D0-480D-B432-60AD468E497A.jpeg

Im sitting on stand now after a really good morning hunt. The wind has picked up and activity is down. I was able to get out of the shop the whole day and hunt. Im so thankful!!
This morning i got 5 shots and 3 squirrels.
Have a great weekend friends.View attachment 45769
Thanks MountainSmoke. Yep, I’m trying a new recipe today. Squirrel roll ups! We’ll see how that goes.

I tried a new dish tonight. Squirrel roll ups. I cooked the squirrels in the crockpot all day. Deboned and mixed with different peppers, onions and mozzarella cheese. Rolled up in crescent roll dough and baked for 30 minutes. I think i could have left in the oven a little longer but enjoyed it.
53D1B910-AA76-41D9-B043-5DF73CF05B04.jpeg
FF4C292F-2B93-40CA-99A6-8D75FBAD1D39.jpeg
6160C0F5-E0EE-47A9-B6D8-F17AC75036B5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had squirrel in while but I used to make a fire, run a stick through them and roast them over the fire.

Squirrel and rifle.jpg
Had a beautiful morning out. I haven't been out in several weeks and with the cool temps last night i knew i had to spend some time in the woods. As i was checking and improving a natural ground blind i plan to hunt out of i see my first bit of movement in the tree tops. I work my way over and after a little watching he finally gives me a shoot, which i miss. As i start to reload i notice my short starter is gone. Meanwhile the squirrel has moved closer down the trunk giving me a perfect shot, which i can't reload and take. I guess he noticed my missing piece of equipment and felt he wasn't in danger. Well after back tracking i finally find the short starter back by my ground blind. The rest of the morning was less eventful and i managed to connect with all the rest of my shots. I figure 3 head shot squirrels in 4 shots isn't too bad. They were great fried up for lunch with some homemade biscuits. I even got a few of my kids to try them.

View attachment 46766Had a beautiful morning out. I haven't been out in several weeks and with the cool temps last night i knew i had to spend some time in the woods. As i was checking and improving a natural ground blind i plan to hunt out of i see my first bit of movement in the tree tops. I work my way over and after a little watching he finally gives me a shoot, which i miss. As i start to reload i notice my short starter is gone. Meanwhile the squirrel has moved closer down the trunk giving me a perfect shot, which i can't reload and take. I guess he noticed my missing piece of equipment and felt he wasn't in danger. Well after back tracking i finally find the short starter back by my ground blind. The rest of the morning was less eventful and i managed to connect with all the rest of my shots. I figure 3 head shot squirrels in 4 shots isn't too bad. They were great fried up for lunch with some homemade biscuits. I even got a few of my kids to try them.
Thats great shooting and two were fox squirrels!!

View attachment 43525
My squirrel huntin bag contents. Patch knife\ skinning knife, 30grain cane measure, turnscrew, some cleaning patches/ball puller, jag,and worm. Lead balls, hunk of tow for cleaning the rifle bore. Spare flints and leather. Lastly a ball starter. What do you all think? Keep the same or something different?

That is a good looking setup. Loving the authentic looking bag. Hoping to put my squirrel hunting gear to work tomorrow. Will post some pics to your thread if I get to go. That is a great looking rifle you've got too...

Back