• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to admit the squirrel heads make for a crunchy supper.

I've killed them with both a .32 & .36 but mostly with the .32. I never, ever had fouling issues with either. Even with 30 grains of 3F there was no more damage than when shooting them with a .22LRHP.

A friend of mine several years and I bought squirrel rifles. His was a .36, mine was a .32. He hunted a lot more with it than I did, killed a lot of squirrels and one deer. He later said he wish he'd bought a .32, although he didn't go into any detail.

At squirrel distance, you don't have to worry about wind drift, etc. My .32 with 20 grains of 3F gets a nice crack and it accurate enough for me. I'd like to say I take only head shots, but that would be a lie.

How about that time you killed three lined up with one ball and it would have been four but the front one ducked?:D
I was there, the front one didn't duck. It had a walnut in it's mouth and he hit the walnut instead. That was mighty fine shooting for a guy with a bow and arrow and the sun in his eyes. :D

I'll send all the heads to you and you send me all the shoulders. LOL!

Awhile back read somewhere a fellow died from eating squirrel brains, something in them was toxic. Made me wonder how many squirrel brains it to took to make breakfast.

Guess I have never been that hungry.

Interesting comparison, if you take a bull frog and skin it whole and skin a squirrel whole and lay then side by side, they are identical. Frog tastes better though.

With practice you can catch frogs with your hand, try that with a squirrel.

Frogs can be put on a stringer live while hunting them, try that with squirrels.

Off to have some breakfast.

I hunted with a .29 and a .32 for many years. Both were fine guns. But , if you don't hit them in the head you'll mess them up.

I have taken the little rodents with .32 .38, and .45 calibers. I have seen an old timer bark a squirrel with a .50 caliber, I thought that was something back then. I like my 32 because of the 40 inch barrel. I would have got a good chewing if I put the ball anywhere but the head as a youngster. I have nothing against shotguns, and they are game getters.
We had modern guns when we hunted and trapped along the Missouri and grand rivers, but when it came to hog butchering time my dad would always load the .32. I bravely asked why he didn't use the .22 he calmly said it is tradition.

.40 with a reduced charge, then you can set it up for yotes or longer range targets, can use a sturdier 3/8” wiping stick, balls are less finicky, and (at least anecdotally) fouls a bit slower than the smaller calls.

The .40 is considered by many a “squirrelsman’s piece” but it’s more versatile and handy than those other two and a .40 is about the best “all rounder” there is methinks.

Smokey,

Okay, why a .40 and reduce the powder charge, seems if that is such sage advice why not a .36????????

" then you can set it up for yotes or longer range targets" Not many yotes in trees are there????

Still waiting on the witchhazle answer as asked forr.

"The .40 is considered by many a “squirrelsman’s piece” but it’s more versatile and handy than those other two and a .40 is about the best “all rounder” there is methinks."

From where??

A 40 may be more versatile, but most of us here have the disease and having a 32 is no more of a problem than also having several others for different uses. Let's see how many do I have.....? I guess I need a 40 since that is not one that I have.

Wish I had bigger squirrels here in Montana. The only ones I’ve seen that are close to eating size are in the city park, right next to the Sheriff’s office. I’d use a .32 if I hunted them.

I'd choose the .36 it's easier to load and will carry a little further and hit a little harder. but the main reason is it is easier to load. .310 balls are damn hard to handle and even harder to find if you drop one.

A .36 might allow the use of a.larger diameter ramrod.
Important point to consider.
Many shooters chose a .40 over a .36 for the same reason, in that case in order to be able to use a 3/8" rod.

I'm building a .32 caliber squirrel gun. I've always wanted a .32, don't know why, just always have. I like that I can probably make a lot of ammo using only a small amount of lead. My plan is to make a loading block which will hold at least ten patched balls at a time. This way no fumbling around trying to reload. Besides our squirrel season starts in Mid October here in Pa, and its not real cold then.

That’s a trueism. If it’s chilly at all them little balls and toothpick sized ramrods can be a pain. I might even think .40.
A .32 is a killer for small game. There ain’t nothing wrong with it, but them four hundredths make a big difference in handeling, it works sour to about 20% bigger.
My smallest Flintlock ML is a .36 Rifle I built from a Pecatonica River kit in the late 80's, I cant imagine how petite a .32 Ramrod would be.

Back