• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel rifle options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use a very, very light loads with big bore MLs. This way I can aim at the body, a much larger target. When this slow ball hits them it knocks the breath out of them and hurls them from the tree. I just get to them before they can catch their breath and dispatch them. Sometimes you might break a rib on one but that doesn't mess them up.

Pacobillie said:
And then we wonder where the PETA activists get their material!
Oh, I don't wonder at all. Have you seen those hunting shows on TV? Our worst enemy IMHO.

At least "winding" squirrels when in season would be legal and more ethical than shooting penned animals.

:shake: J.D.

Billnpatti said:
Some folks use a caliber as large as .40 for squirrels but I am of the opinion that .32 is ideal and .36 is quite workable. In either case, I would restrict my shots to head shots. A muzzleloader, even a .32, will tear up a lot of meat when you make a body shot....if you hit either the shoulders or the hind legs. I guess, if you used very light loads and restrict your shots to head shots you could use a .45 or larger but, if you can afford it, a .32 with an A weight barrel will be your best bet. I am afraid that a barrel that will fit your T/C that is chambered for a .32 will have so much metal in it, that it will be like carrying a barbell through the woods. You might also consider a fowler for your squirrel gun. Again, this assumes that you happen to have the price of a new gun in your pocket.

These are just the opinions of an old fart so take them for what they are worth to you. :haha:

I met a guy at the range where I shoot, who built an experimental .22 Cal. black powder rifle. He was testing loads. He used several projectiles, including some 40 grain lead bullets pulled from some cheap .22LR ammo. I didn't get his name, but I wish I had. He was getting near 1" groups @ 25 yards of of bags, and it was his very first outing with the gun.

Anyway, that would be a fun squirrel gun. That brings up a question, if you'll pardon my lack of information. Until that experimental .22 Cal. is out on the market and affordable, what smoothbore caliber (gauge) would you suggest for squirrel? I know a guy who shoots a .62 Cal. smoothbore with round balls, and seems to do OK. Can you set up a fowling piece to shoot round balls OR lead shot with fair accuracy?

Trumpetman said:
Billnpatti said:
Some folks use a caliber as large as .40 for squirrels but I am of the opinion that .32 is ideal and .36 is quite workable. In either case, I would restrict my shots to head shots. A muzzleloader, even a .32, will tear up a lot of meat when you make a body shot....if you hit either the shoulders or the hind legs. I guess, if you used very light loads and restrict your shots to head shots you could use a .45 or larger but, if you can afford it, a .32 with an A weight barrel will be your best bet. I am afraid that a barrel that will fit your T/C that is chambered for a .32 will have so much metal in it, that it will be like carrying a barbell through the woods. You might also consider a fowler for your squirrel gun. Again, this assumes that you happen to have the price of a new gun in your pocket.

These are just the opinions of an old fart so take them for what they are worth to you. :haha:

I met a guy at the range where I shoot, who built an experimental .22 Cal. black powder rifle. He was testing loads. He used several projectiles, including some 40 grain lead bullets pulled from some cheap .22LR ammo. I didn't get his name, but I wish I had. He was getting near 1" groups @ 25 yards of of bags, and it was his very first outing with the gun.

Anyway, that would be a fun squirrel gun. That brings up a question, if you'll pardon my lack of information. Until that experimental .22 Cal. is out on the market and affordable, what smoothbore caliber (gauge) would you suggest for squirrel? I know a guy who shoots a .62 Cal. smoothbore with round balls, and seems to do OK. Can you set up a fowling piece to shoot round balls OR lead shot with fair accuracy?

A .62 cal. is a 20 gauge equivalent. A 7/8 ounce load of #5 or #6 shot should take care of any squirrel within 35 yards.

Another option is to get a 36 cal. gm barrel..lighter@ 28"
or go with a 40 cal. even lighter!
Light loads in either will work..a head shot is a head shot!
Give Tip Curtis a call.

This is mounted on a Renegade stock...

001.jpg

here's a 40 cal. @ 32" on a Hawken

IMG_24571.jpg

Great pictures! I recently changed to 3F powder for my T/C Hawken .50 Cal. I have a nice light load that is pretty consistent in this gun. I get a little over 1200 fps. out of 39 grains of Goex fffg. Do you think that's still too fast for a body shot with a .49" round ball? The load is more accurate than me, but you have to get used to the drop, which is considerable. I like that .32 caliber idea. It ought to shoot much flatter than my slow, heavy chunk of lead.

Pacobillie said:
I would like to get myslf a squirrel/hare rifle. My options are as follows:
1- New .32 caliber Green Mountain barrel to fit my TC Hawken stock.

2-.36 caliber used TC Seneca

Option 2 is more expensive, but it is a complete gun and would likely be lighter and more fun to carry around in the woods than the Hawken with GM barrel.

Am I missing anything? How is .36 as a squirrel caliber? Can I take body shots or am I restricted to headshots, like I would be with a .45?

BTW, I already have a .45, two .50s and a .54 sidelocks.

Here is a workable third option for you. I just found out that Traditions sells factory seconds from their website. Spotty on what they have but...

not to divert the subject how about a BP pistol, I have a 32 cal crockett, I can get squirrel head size groups out to 20 yards but need to practice more. Maybe a BP revolver? When I take the kids out squirrel hunting I have been taking my 32 green mountain barrel on a 54 cal hawken stock. heavy to carry but I consider it my training rifle for the dream Elk Trip.

I handled an original 19th century percussion gun in .29 caliber at Friendship last Thursday; a half-stock built in Indianapolis. It was a plain rifle with wonderful lines, and it didn't have a sliver of unnecessary wood on it. It was a truly beautiful purpose-built "squirrel rifle". It was heavy, but that can be as much an advantage as a disadvantage.

Latest posts

Back