• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Rifle Ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarponStalker

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m way overdue on building a rifle. I’ve only done 4 so I’m not an expert or even close. My first three were “kits” from various stages from DGW, Pecatonics River and Track of the Wolf. The latest was from Jim Kibler.
I want another squirrel rifle. My first build was a .32 with a 42 inch straight barrel. I’d like a .36 cal with a barrel that’s easier to shoot offhand than the straight one I have. I’m thinking of either an Isaac Haines since they have a shorter barrel 38 in. (A profile) or maybe finding a .36 cal barrel that would work with a half stock rifle. Maybe 34-36 inches. At this point I’m not looking to be historically perfect but I want to build a hunting rifle.
I really prefer a swamped barrel. I know I’d love the Kibler mtn rifle but I kinda want to do some more of the work myself on this one.
Any ideas from those of you that have built or bought smaller caliber rifles ?

A SMR for the .36 would be perfect, IMHO. A swamped barrel makes a better hunting rifle where much walking is expected. My .36 SMR has a 38" X 3/4" straight barrel which makes it feather light at just over 6 lbs. Check with TVM(uzzleloading).

I’ve been looking at parts from several companies. I’ve never bought from Sitting Fox. Do y’all have any experience with them? They have several types to choose from. But I know nothing about them. I’m sure it’ll take me longer to decide what and who than it will to build it.
ive already realized some suppliers don’t carry small caliber barrels

When you get it done, come over to my house. I have some in my attic that I haven't been able to get rid of!
Haha. That would be fun. Shooting a flintlock in your attic. As poorly as I shoot a flintlock you may need to reroof your house before I get rid of the squirrel. I’m sure there’d be some new holes

This is a .36, 3/4" straight barrel but 42" long, yes a 38" would probably be a bit better but as it is, this thing is an eye shooter out to 50 yards.
IMG_0033.jpeg

Robby

Thanks to all that replied. I’m still looking at several types/suppliers.
I’ll let you know once I decide.
I’m leaning towards something with a straight 38 inch barrel now. My 42 inch .32 is just a little too front heavy for me to shoot accurately offhand.

Thanks to all that replied. I’m still looking at several types/suppliers.
I’ll let you know once I decide.
I’m leaning towards something with a straight 38 inch barrel now. My 42 inch .32 is just a little too front heavy for me to shoot accurately offhand.

My Soddy has a straight 3/4” 37” and is the most perfect balancing rifle I’ve ever had. Not necessarily because of the barrel but the gun overall. Like Robby said, I’ve had a 3/4”x.36 in 42” and it was awesome as well. Keep in mind it’s a matter of how much iron is left of the barrel after it’s bored and where that weight is that makes it comfortable. Also, the 3/4” will typically make a very slender rifle compared to a swamped. If you are anywhere near where a longrifle show is held in Feb/March that’d be a great place to handle some of these. What’s perfect for one guy might be slightly off for another.

Back