• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel gun, tinkering on junk. But, so far so good...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sometimes junk shoots:
20210123_121026.jpg

Here it is: 30 yds, 10 grains of 3f, .340 caliber ball, .020 pillow ticking. With this 40 inch barrel and such a small charge of powder, gun is quieter than a .22 short when it goes off.

I'm am probably more happy about this than i should be! I'm sure any squirrel hunters on this forum can relate to my enthusiam. (I used to kill 75+ a year when I had more time as a kid).

Funny though, I had to track down some .340's because it doesn't seem to start .350's at muzzle, even when using thinner patches. But man, how can I possibly complain about that?

In most people's eyes, gun would be about as worthless as it comes, mismatched lock, stock, and barrel. But, it looks good, it shoots good, balances okay, and was purchased specifically as a tool to keep squirrels in my freezer, and not much else. I won't have to feel bad about getting it scuffed and dinged up. I have nice guns already.. I don't need anymore guns to keep nice. I'm simply after reliable junk.

Right now my only problem is the hammer. Wherever this gun came from, all the parts are mismatched. The hammer falls slightly-off centered towards right of cap. So it doesn't ignite caps very often. About one in three tries, but man when the cap ignites, the GUN GOES OFF. I shot it about 20 times today. And that small powder charge doesn't seem to foul the bore much at all, especially in that long barrel. So much potential for squirrels: safe shots, and low noise means I can go in just about anywhere and clean out the squirrels without bothering a soul and there's no excess energy to worry about.

Here's what I'm thinking:

It's a right handed gun, hammer falls slightly right of center on nipple, and I gotta make it hit square.

Definitely can't shim it. That will move it farther to right. So gotta bend the hammer. Will it break? It looks like pretty crappy steel to me. Nothing like the steel in my lyman.

Who used to make these locks?

Ive seen them before. Nothing special about them at all. Never really thought I'd have one. It's on the tip of my tongue but I just can't think of it. Can't seem to find any info online either
20210123_193242.jpg
but I KNOW I've seen this exact lock before in auctions. It's driving me nuts:

I just want to try to bend the hammer and be able to find a backup part if I screw it up or break it. Wouldn't mind to find a backup sear spring too so I can try and thin it.

Perhaps someone else would know the name of the company or pitch in with a trick to bend it?

Man, if I could just figure out how to fix this last part I'd be in business. I've got a whole oak grove full of fox squirrels that nobody else hunts but me, and I don't use anything but blackpowder anymore. I enjoy it too much.

I would heat to red,and slightly bend it, watching for cracks. I wouldn’t try to bend it cold. I think the hammer is thick enough to be ok.

I had kind of thought thats what I'd have to do. I have little experience with shaping Iron and steel aside from cutting and filing. But that's pretty basic. Have you done anything like that before?

I'll have to measure it, but its looking like it might need to be moved a 16th or an 8th inch. Honestly, I couldn't tell you if this is cast iron or anything else. But I kind of think it is cast iron. I figured someone on here would probably know better than me.

Thanks

You could remove the hammer and drill a small hole in the back of it, where no one will see it. Use a sharp drill. Watch the shavings. Long curly shavings, it’s steel, and bendable. If it looks like dust, it’s cast iron, and it won’t bend much, if at all.

You might grind the inside of the hammer cup, just take a little off with a dremel, in the direction you need to go. Then you don’t have to bend it.

Guys, thanks for all your input. I am really thinking the right move is to heat and bend the hammer, I just would feel much more comfortable once I've identified the lock and found a backup part in case I destroy it. I'm pretty good at working on stuff, but you never know.

Does anyone recognize this lock? I have seen it before but I just cannot remember who made it. It's driving me nuts.

Latest posts

Back