• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel Gun Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphinator

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Well I figured I would start with my first of three questions I am going to ask the forum. What makes a good squirrel gun. More specifically a squirrel/ small game rifle. Caliber, barrel length etc. What does everyone on here prefer ? What has everyone here found success with ? What is the better caliber .32 or .36 ? What is better a long barrel around 37" to 42" ? Or a shorter barrel of 36" and under ? Also what is too much to pay for a squirrel/game rifle in the eyes of some ? ( If no one wants to answer that last question that is fine I know some of you here on the forum believe that a price is a price and that is between buyer and seller). Thank you to all who reply and for all of your help that I've recieved in the past.

Accuracy is number one criteria. I prefer a 32 caliber roundball gun using 12-15 grains of powder. Then there is flint vs percussion, but you asked in the flint forum, so guess you have crossed that bridge. Budget is whatever you want to spend. Comes down to what you like.

Are you currently shooting a traditional muzzleloader? You may already have a ‘squirrel’ gun.

Well I figured I would start with my first of three questions I am going to ask the forum. What makes a good squirrel gun. More specifically a squirrel/ small game rifle. Caliber, barrel length etc. What does everyone on here prefer ? What has everyone here found success with ? What is the better caliber .32 or .36 ? What is better a long barrel around 37" to 42" ? Or a shorter barrel of 36" and under ? Also what is too much to pay for a squirrel/game rifle in the eyes of some ? ( If no one wants to answer that last question that is fine I know some of you here on the forum believe that a price is a price and that is between buyer and seller). Thank you to all who reply and for all of your help that I've recieved in the past.
The best squirrel rifle I ever had was a 36 Bedford County. It sported a 3/4" 40" straight hexagon barrel. The balance was phenomenal. I had to sell it a several years back. Now, I have a 36 Kimber, and am getting used to it. It has good balance, but my eyes are older.

For squirrels, the .32 is hard to beat. Very economical to shoot in both the lead and powder category. I prefer long rifles, and both my percussion and flint .32's have 41" barrels. The long sighting plane helps in the accuracy department. I do have one percussion .32 with a 25" barrel that I use when hunting snow shoe rabbits on snow shoes in VT. It is great for those times when ducking under snow laden spruce limbs and snaking thru the brush. I guess it depends on what you are actually looking for. There are lots of options out there, or you can go the custom build route.

I love to squirrel hunt and prefer a 32 cal. I have owned several Seneca and Cherokee rifles and they are short, light and compact rifles that are still very accurate at squirrel range which for me is inside of around 35 yards. They are percussion but I hope to own a Flint gun with a longer barrel soon. As far as price I have seen nice hunting 32s from $400 up to around $1800. My most often shot with and hunted with rifle cost me a thousand and I have never regretted it because I truly enjoy carrying it in the woods.

My .32 Kentucky I built from a Pedersoli kit. Fun project but even more fun to shoot.

Attachments

• 4F6B6437-DC40-482C-BD3F-B732AC7A69A6.jpeg
    4F6B6437-DC40-482C-BD3F-B732AC7A69A6.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 50
Just about any caliber is a squirrel or small game gun. All of them will wreck a squirrel or rabbit if the shot is off. I've hunted and killed grouse and rabbits with 45, 50 & 54 rb guns. They all did fine with head or neck shots.

Even a 32 loaded light can be pretty destructive with poor shot placement.

As we age, the front sight of a long-barreled rifle will still be in focus. The rear sight will become more out of focus, but the longer barrel will allow us to move the rear sight closer to the front sight and maintain squirrel head acccuracy.
Ah that makes sense, there is a .36 cal in my local shop that has two dovetails cut one near the lock and one up farther on the barrel. That would makes sense as to why the sight wouldve been moved forward.

Barking squirrels is talked about quite a bit but my thought is that if I can shoot well enough to hit the limb in the right spot to stun them I will shoot them right below the ear. I would think that you would injure more than you kill by barking but have never tried it. Murphinator hope you end up with a nice accurate gun squirrel hunting and practicing to do it will sharpen your shooting skills up.

Last edited:
I've only ever had 2 squirrel rifles. A 28" .32 percussion gun was first. It was a good shooter and very cheap to shoot. Sold it because I wanted a long rifle. Now I shoot a .36 flintlock with a 44" swamped barrel. The 36 shoots great with 25gr FFFg so almost as cheap to shoot. Both work fine, but I like the long barrel better, just personal preference.

Back