• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel gun question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned both a 32 and have several 36 rifles. The 32 was a great rifle and very accurate, we only sold it to downsize on calibers we had. The 32 size ball was harder for me to handle than the 36 but your experience might be different. Also as far as using 00 and 000 buck shot that definitely will work. We used .319 ball in the 32 and .360 in the 36s. Both are extremely accurate put to 100 yards. My wife one top lady many a match with her 32 and won top lady overall for the year with it. She also consistently hit the 200 yard bear targets at our range. They are fun calibers & cheap to feed.

The small balls are difficult to handle if you are getting on in years and have arthritis. I find using a loading block helps with this issue. I cast my own balls, but I understand that you can purchase 000 buck for the .36 but finding 1-1/2 buck (.310) is more difficult. rotometals carries 1-1/2 buck, or at least they used to.

For me it’s a .32, I’ve got a couple Crockett.32’s and a couple Cherokee .32’s. I’ve also got a Cherokee and Seneca in .36, but I prefer the .32’s.
I intend to get a .32 Flinter eventually, but I’ve got to learn to restrain myself from buying other stuff so I’ve got the funds for one.

Squirrel hunting is mighty addicting...,
LD

Yes it is! I enjoy a frosty morning, listening to squirrels foraging through the leaves and cutting acorns in the trees, with black powder smoke drifting through the fall woods almost better than anything. I gots a "squirrel rifle" also....and it's probably one of my favorite guns. Traditions Deerhunter in .32 caliber. With 15g of Goex and a PRB, it's bad medicine for bushytails!

kjbHXQU.jpg

I call my little 25 caliber a squirrel rifle simply because chipmunk rifle sounds ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back