• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel Excursion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebutch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Friday am, a cooler 26 degree morning, with a slight S wind around 5 mph. Sitting under a walnut tree walnut tree. Been sitting for about 40 mins, when I see the the flicker of a bushy tail. This beautiful grey squirrel climbed right up into a bush and gave me a perfect shot opportunity. I settled my sights at 20 yards with my .32 caliber Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle, with 30 gr of 3F Swiss powder, a .15 pillow tick patch( I think), and a .310 hornady round ball. I squeezed the trigger, and she touched off without delay.. CRACK! When the smoke cleared, the squirrel was still sitting on the bush, and I thought I missed, after a long 4 seconds, plop it went and dropped from the bush. I don’t think he knew what hit him. Very beautiful grey and big . It’ll make a fine meal later this week. I might note, this is my first black powder kill and my first with a flintlock. My uncle is the one that got me into flintlocks and I’m sure glad he did. It’s because of him that I have caught the big and have had it for a couple years now. It was a hunt I will remember for the rest of my life.

Attachments

• 0FD24F61-15D0-45C3-AF00-51AB22E67AE8.jpeg
    0FD24F61-15D0-45C3-AF00-51AB22E67AE8.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 406A3CFF-76A9-42CD-80A1-7C247BC195AE.png
    406A3CFF-76A9-42CD-80A1-7C247BC195AE.png
    691 KB · Views: 190
Eric...congrats on your first flintlock kill! With your upcoming deer hunt I hope to see another hunt story here soon (kill or no kill). Was that at the Duck camp? Looks kinda marshy. I'll bet Dan is proud!!!

Mike
Thanks, Mike! This is actually at my girlfriends parents property in NW IL. That patch I was sitting in had some marsh grass and pine trees around it.

Wow! Your first BP kill and it with a flintlock! I remember my first kill; a fox squirrel I shot in East Texas with a .45 caliber percussion 'Kentucky' made by me out of a kit my brother's girl friend bought me for a Christmas present in 1977. I have never killed game with a flintlock; it seems a remarkable achievement with a first kill. I think you should stay with flintlocks; now that you've scored, cap guns will seem too tame. You will forever be aligned with that august company of riflemen who use only the rock-lock and disdain the use of any thing of lesser nobility. We humbly bow.

Friday am, a cooler 26 degree morning, with a slight S wind around 5 mph. Sitting under a walnut tree walnut tree. Been sitting for about 40 mins, when I see the the flicker of a bushy tail. This beautiful grey squirrel climbed right up into a bush and gave me a perfect shot opportunity. I settled my sights at 20 yards with my .32 caliber Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle, with 30 gr of 3F Swiss powder, a .15 pillow tick patch( I think), and a .310 hornady round ball. I squeezed the trigger, and she touched off without delay.. CRACK! When the smoke cleared, the squirrel was still sitting on the bush, and I thought I missed, after a long 4 seconds, plop it went and dropped from the bush. I don’t think he knew what hit him. Very beautiful grey and big . It’ll make a fine meal later this week. I might note, this is my first black powder kill and my first with a flintlock. My uncle is the one that got me into flintlocks and I’m sure glad he did. It’s because of him that I have caught the big and have had it for a couple years now. It was a hunt I will remember for the rest of my life.

Congrats on the first of many more too come...

Tell Uncle Dan , Smo said Hello and Merry Christmas too you all.

Great looking gun and bag!
Nice shot too!

Congrats on the first of many more too come...

Tell Uncle Dan , Smo said Hello and Merry Christmas too you all.

Great looking gun and bag!
Nice shot too!
Thanks Smo, will do. Happy holidays

Nice looking bag and rifle, squirrel looks good to. Did you build that rifle from one of Jim's kits?
Hey! Yes, it was one of his kits that I built. Well worth the price and very simple to put together. I am a very novice gun builder so being my first build, it was easy to follow the directions. Highly recommend one.

Hey! Yes, it was one of his kits that I built. Well worth the price and very simple to put together. I am a very novice gun builder so being my first build, it was easy to follow the directions. Highly recommend one.
I was looking at his kits at Lewsbury, Pa., and they really got my attention. With other kits, I could take a $900 kit and build a $300 rifle. With that kit from Jim Kibler, I would make something to be proud of.

Back