• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Squirrel Excursion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday am, a cooler 26 degree morning, with a slight S wind around 5 mph. Sitting under a walnut tree walnut tree. Been sitting for about 40 mins, when I see the the flicker of a bushy tail. This beautiful grey squirrel climbed right up into a bush and gave me a perfect shot opportunity. I settled my sights at 20 yards with my .32 caliber Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle, with 30 gr of 3F Swiss powder, a .15 pillow tick patch( I think), and a .310 hornady round ball. I squeezed the trigger, and she touched off without delay.. CRACK! When the smoke cleared, the squirrel was still sitting on the bush, and I thought I missed, after a long 4 seconds, plop it went and dropped from the bush. I don’t think he knew what hit him. Very beautiful grey and big . It’ll make a fine meal later this week. I might note, this is my first black powder kill and my first with a flintlock. My uncle is the one that got me into flintlocks and I’m sure glad he did. It’s because of him that I have caught the big and have had it for a couple years now. It was a hunt I will remember for the rest of my life.
congrats on first ML success. squirrel hunting with a ML is great fun!!

I just love hunting small game with muzzleloaders. I don't know why, but taking squirrels with BP is more exciting than taking a deer. I think it has to do with the actual hunt and the fact you're not limited to just one. It's also a good test of marksmanship.

I just love hunting small game with muzzleloaders. I don't know why, but taking squirrels with BP is more exciting than taking a deer. I think it has to do with the actual hunt and the fact you're not limited to just one. It's also a good test of marksmanship.
That’s the truth. Had a great time!

Latest posts

Back