• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sprue orientation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay no attention to the people who are impatient with repeated discussions of muzzleloading information. There will always be a lot of the same questions and discussions on any kind of forum, because there are always people coming onto the forum as well as people leaving. Remember: there is no personality test to become a member of the Traditional Muzzleloading Forum!
Thank you

Load the sprue up as said many times above. If the sprue is off to one side, not only will it make loading difficult but it will likely cause the patch to blow out once fired. The blowout will cause more accuracy issues than the sprue.

I haven’t been able to tell any difference but most of my shooting is at 50 yards or less. I place the sprue up so that I can see it. What I have found to be important to consistent accuracy is loading everything the same way every time. If you like sprue up, then go up every time. Same for patches, lube, powder measure, priming, shooting position, etc.

So..the swaged balls I've bought aren't exactly "round". Were it not for the sprue, my molded balls are more spherical. Ill-fitting cut-offs, even from some of my really good molds determine what the sprue looks like. How do you reckon old-timers dealt with the large sprue left with bag molds?

I put them in my empty ball mill that I make BP in and let them roll for a hour. Comes out nice and shiny with no more spru. You can see my reflection in them.

Attachments

• 20220311_161434.jpg
    20220311_161434.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220311_162042.jpg
    20220311_162042.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Also we haven't mentioned the importance of having the stripes of the ticking runnng the same way each time you load. However, that is a discussion for another day after the mystery of the crooked sprue is solved.
Ha! I tend to do that. I don’t hold any belief about there being any benefit - I’m just built that way, lol.

I’m pretty new to this forum and don’t appreciate the condescension.
I don't think that it is a condescending attitude I just think that no matter how long you have been on the forum that one should use the search function before asking a question that may have been asked before. I actually had the same question a while back, used the search function and found my answer.

People here are pretty nice. I haven't been here very long but I have found that to be the case.

I see that you are a supporting member, that's great. If you want to get... edited ... replies and argue...go to the "non-muzzle loading discussions" or "American Politics" board...you'll get your fill and perhaps have something legitimate to gripe about.

No need to be super sensitive here...pretty friendly group if I do say so myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m pretty new to this forum and don’t appreciate the condescension.
As @Old-Duckman said. This forum is for learning and entertainment. Lots of knowledge here and some folks that don't know how to get their point across eloquently. I get my dander up too sometimes, but it's usually after I've had a couple of adult beverages! It's all good.

I don't think that it is a condescending attitude I just think that no matter how long you have been on the forum that one should use the search function before asking a question that may have been asked before. I actually had the same question a while back, used the search function and found my answer.

People here are pretty nice. I haven't been here very long but I have found that to be the case.

I see that you are a supporting member, that's great. If you want to get pissy replies and argue...go to the "non-muzzle loading discussions" or "American Politics" board...you'll get you fill and perhaps have something legitimate to gripe about.

No need to be super sensitive here...pretty friendly group if I do say so myself!
That reply was not friendly or helpful.

I see that you are a supporting member, that's great. If you want to get pissy replies and argue...go to the "non-muzzle loading discussions" or "American Politics" board...you'll get you fill and perhaps have something legitimate to gripe about.

I sure wasn’t expecting a pissy reply. That’s not what I call helpful or friendly. If that’s how he “helps” I had best put him on ignore.
I’m not being “super sensitive”. Just looking for advice. Saying take the time to read it is not friendly or helpful.

I sure wasn’t expecting a ..... reply. That’s not what I call helpful or friendly. If that’s how he “helps” I had best put him on ignore.
I’m not being “super sensitive”. Just looking for advice. Saying take the time to read it is not friendly or helpful.

Yes,,,,, But.......

After you have been here awhile you will find that many people do not read the posts after the OP's question including those from the OP.

As a result, many times the OP has received his answered question or has removed his stuck ball/nipple whatever and yet......... people are still giving him advise or asking him questions (post pictures etc.). And the question has been asked and answered many times on other threads (what lube/ramrod/etc. etc.).

To say that some of us expect/hope others would take the time to read instead of hitting the reply button like it's the button on jeopardy is being edited..... well,, who's being...edited..., ?

Lighten up, we are all enjoying this great sport even though there are many paths to the enjoyment. You got your feelings hurt, now go find that search button and it is amazing the stuff you will find.

Trying to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,,,,, But.......

After you have been here awhile you will find that many people do not read the posts after the OP's question including those from the OP.

As a result, many times the OP has received his answered question or has removed his stuck ball/nipple whatever and yet......... people are still giving him advise or asking him questions (post pictures etc.). And the question has been asked and answered many times on other threads (what lube/ramrod/etc. etc.).

To say that some of us expect/hope others would take the time to read instead of hitting the reply button like it's the button on jeopardy is being pissy..... well,, who's being pissy?

Lighten up, we are all enjoying this great sport even though there are many paths to the enjoyment. You got your feelings hurt, now go find that search button and it is amazing the stuff you will find.

Trying to help.
And what about my follow up questions?
I would guess that EVERY question posted has been asked and answered many times. So goes the forum. Why post at all?
Right now you are being... edited... A suggestion can be made without being... edited... or condescending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back