• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Springs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol vern

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a lock self-destruct yesterday, First the fizzen spring broke and when I cocked the lock again the main spring went.

Can't figger this one out.
this is a modern lock with cast springs and if just one or the other had broken I would say it was just a bad spring but having the two of them break at the same time just dont make any sense.

I had shot this lock maybe 500 times before it went south.

Any ideas? :confused:

Have you seen any Black Cats around your place recently?
Maybe the new neighbor lady who has painted cresent moons and stars on her front windows? You didn't throw your dog's stuff over the fence into her back yard did you? :rotf:

I don't know what else could have done this to your lock, but on the bright side, you should be able to get some new springs fairly easily if you know who made your lock. :)

Springs are strange beasts... :youcrazy: Was it an L&R lock? I've had the same trouble with their's. A call to Track of the Wolf will fix it.

Roy said:
Call who ever made the lock.

W'all I dunno .. but iffin it was me .. I would probably call em everthing in the book! :hmm: :cursing: :rotf:

Davy

Sounds like someone slipped through some springs that had not been tempered properly. Check the ends of the broken spings. Using a good light, or sunlight, does the broken end look like crystals to you? If so, I am probably correct. Call the maker. He should replace the springs free of charge. Tell him when you got the gun, who made it, etc. so he can do some quality control by identifying the source of the springs.

I would be much more willing to bet that if you were to look at the broken ends of the springs you would find casting pits... :winking:

Back