• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield 1863 barrel rebore to smoothbore!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treestalker

Treestalker
Reaction score
Well I just received my Springfield barrel back from Mr. Hoyt and am really pleased and excited about it. He bored it from .58 rifled to .60 caliber smoothbore. I didn't know how large a bore would be feasible, and I don't know exactly what 'guage' .60 caliber is, but it looks great! I'm hoping to build a Civil War era percussion Indian trade gun out of it, suitable to shot or ball, or both. An Englishman named Hollis made some that look to be made out of Enfield parts after the American CW. If anybody has ideas to share, or have experience repurposing a musket barrel, I'd like to hear from you here. The barrel is 40" long, tapered round with bolster, and the military front sight. Do you think an Enfield lock could be fitted, or should I hold out for a Springfield or civilian lock? Thanks guys, Geo.

Thanks Cruzatte. If .58 is a 24ga, and .61-62 is a 20ga, then .60 must be a 22ga, lol. Bound to be an adventure!
Yup. Pretty close to a 22 guage.

According to my roundball trajectory calculator on my computer, a .600 diameter lead roundball weighs 324 grains.

7000 grains per pound / 324 grains = 21.60 balls per pound. :)

Well I just received my Springfield barrel back from Mr. Hoyt and am really pleased and excited about it. He bored it from .58 rifled to .60 caliber smoothbore. I didn't know how large a bore would be feasible, and I don't know exactly what 'guage' .60 caliber is, but it looks great! I'm hoping to build a Civil War era percussion Indian trade gun out of it, suitable to shot or ball, or both. An Englishman named Hollis made some that look to be made out of Enfield parts after the American CW. If anybody has ideas to share, or have experience repurposing a musket barrel, I'd like to hear from you here. The barrel is 40" long, tapered round with bolster, and the military front sight. Do you think an Enfield lock could be fitted, or should I hold out for a Springfield or civilian lock? Thanks guys, Geo.

Assuming you already have a Springfield stock, you'll need a Springfield lock. The Enfield lock plate has a much different profile.

I’d stick with springfield parts. Easier to get, original or repro. If you use an Enfield lock, you’ll need an Enfield stock.

Back