• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield 1851 Cadet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greytop13

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My friend came across an old gun while cleaning out her deceased mother’s home. She asked me if I could tell her anything about it. It’s a rusty old girl. The owner’s husband found “Springfield 1851” on the tail of the lock. I was able to find an eagle over “US” just in front of the hammer. It appears that the lock at least is from one of 2000 muskets made in Springfield in 1851 especially for military schools such as West Point and VMI. Many of these saw service in the Civil War.
The mystery is the barrel. Somewhere along the way, someone cut it down. The 1851 Cadet was made with three bands (this has two) and the barrel should be 40” long (this one is 30”). The front sight should be a brass blade but this has a soldered pin. It should also be .57 caliber. I can’t find my calipers, but the inside diameter of the barrel measures roughly .75. Checking the depth of the barrel, it comes up about two inches short. It could be a charge or mud.
First question: Should I pull the mud/wad/ball that seems to be down there?
Second question: Could this be an original Cadet that was modified into a farmer's fowler or do you think the lock was just repurposed (the bbl has a "V" and "P" laying sideways near the tang)?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 107
It's a cut down 1842 musket made in 1851. The date stamp on the lock plate is year of manufacture, not the model number.

Back