• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Springfield 1842

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently acquired an Harpers Ferry 1842 that is unit marked and would love to find out any history it may have. Here's pics of the stock markings. More pics in the
"Smooth Bore" forum under 1842 Harpers Ferry.
Thanks in advance

1842-1.JPG1842-2.JPG

Kyle, there is little referred too with the 79th wearing kilts into battle, there were some trews during the early years in the Cameron tartan. And one reference too a Lt. chasing a pig in his kilt something about a fence and him jumping over it, I would have too dig out the reference. I also believe the 42s were used a good bit in the northern states units. I am now on a search for a original smooth bore 42, as some of them were rifled.

To all:

This is the Firearms Identification forum.
Please keep your discussions relevant to the 1842 musket in the OP's first post.

Gee Zonie, I would think references to the original 42s and units issued those weapons would lend itself too the (perhaps) discoveries of data there bye allowing ones avenues of re-course for re-search, and further understanding of its use, and identifying marks such as condorsp seeking info. on his, and perhaps a unit marking, there is a lot of information on units and issued weapons of the civil war and not all of it is in weapons books, unit histories, diaries, letters. You would perhaps be surprised at the amount of viable info. related to our searches. Sometimes we may get a bit off course but alas you always rein us in.

Sweet, I was never offered a trade like that for my services. Last week I picked an 1842 in the same beautiful condition but with the barrel bobbed 2". The price was half of normal so I was happy as Harpers Ferry pieces bring a premium around here being locally produced. Harpers Ferry is on the other side of Elk Ridge, across the river that powered the machinery. Pretty cool to hold and know it's a product of the Potomac river. I'm considering sending the barrel to Bobby Hoyt to be stretched with a liner to restore it's original appearance.
View attachment 74778
Could you post a picture of the middle band to front of the muzzle? I've seen too many good muskets ruined because someone didn't know what they had.

Any letter stamped on the underbelly of the musket near the front of the trigger guard?

Thank you.

Gee Zonie, I would think references to the original 42s and units issued those weapons would lend itself too the (perhaps) discoveries of data there bye allowing ones avenues of re-course for re-search, and further understanding of its use, and identifying marks such as condorsp seeking info. on his, and perhaps a unit marking, there is a lot of information on units and issued weapons of the civil war and not all of it is in weapons books, unit histories, diaries, letters. You would perhaps be surprised at the amount of viable info. related to our searches. Sometimes we may get a bit off course but alas you always rein us in.
I agree. Talking about which units used the 1842 Springfield can be useful information. When we get into who wore kilts we're getting too far off topic.

Years ago, Bought the first repro 42 I found . All I had was the Lyman .69 mold , and it was a sloppy enough fit that the rifle wouldn't shoot well enough. Sent the original barrel to a shop in Va. , and had it lined w/ a new sleeve , to fit the .69 Lyman minnie. Off a rest at 60 yds. the 42 cuts holes using 60 gr. FFG. Gun is just too heavy for this old guy to handle it.

Years ago, Bought the first repro 42 I found . All I had was the Lyman .69 mold , and it was a sloppy enough fit that the rifle wouldn't shoot well enough. Sent the original barrel to a shop in Va. , and had it lined w/ a new sleeve , to fit the .69 Lyman minnie. Off a rest at 60 yds. the 42 cuts holes using 60 gr. FFG. Gun is just too heavy for this old guy to handle it.
It is a very neat firearm. We did some shooting at a buddy’s house last weekend, everyone was in love with it. Then they found out it was an original and looking at the 1854 dates on it, just added to their infatuation.

By the way, we all agreed it does have heft to it, and said we really couldn’t imagine hauling it around and using in battle.

Before I found the repro 42 , I bought a Potzdam Musket original in fair shape and had a new .69 liner put in it's bore. I got all the parts necessary to restore it , but as time would have it , my profession got in the way and time became short. The Potzdam is a little lighter than the 42 , so it may get finished. Bet it will shoot as good as the 42. ...........oldwood

Before I found the repro 42 , I bought a Potzdam Musket original in fair shape and had a new .69 liner put in it's bore. I got all the parts necessary to restore it , but as time would have it , my profession got in the way and time became short. The Potzdam is a little lighter than the 42 , so it may get finished. Bet it will shoot as good as the 42. ...........oldwood
Nice! Post pics when finished please.

By the way, we all agreed it does have heft to it, and said we really couldn’t imagine hauling it around and using in battle.
Folks lived different lifestyles 150+ years ago. It's possible that many didn't find the '42 too heavy to manage. There are some today who will say a heavier rifle or musket actually steadies their aim. Each to his/her own, eh? Whatever works.

Until about age 50 I hunted with my competition .50 cal longrifle. A "C' wt. .50 w/44" length Getz. It was extremely accurate to a fault. When young , I was used to carrying the 9Lb. rifle , because I didn't want to pass up shots out to 100 yds. , but time takes it's toll. By the time I got the "42" Springfield , only thing doable w/ it was the thrill of shooting it at the range , from a rest. I would love to take it to the deer stand , but have to use an early Lancaster with peep sight , eyes are old too. W/ out peep sight , target , front , and rear sights are fuzzy. Enjoy it while ya can................oldwood

Back