• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield 1842

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time that the 42 was in usage American infantry usually fought two-ranks deep, not often kneeling. Typically muskets were long so you could reach a horseman with the bayonet attached when dragoons (cavalry) charged a line. I've reenacted for over thirty years and know from experience that even a two-band rifle can be fired in two ranks if done properly without having a muzzle blast in the face.

That's really neat, no doubt it was used during the Civil War. There's really no way it wouldn't have been issued to someone, during that time, since nearly everything that could shoot was taken out of storage and issued.

Whether it saw action in large, pivotal battles or spent it's service life with a State Militia unit that guarded a factory district in Pennsylvania , and never fired a shot in anger, we'll never know.

The only muzzleloading weapons I have that I have a reasonable certainty saw action are my two original 1861 Springfields, with lock dates of 1861. I figure there's no way these at the time new weapons wouldn't have gone to soldiers who were actively campaigning or were going to see action.

That's really neat, no doubt it was used during the Civil War. There's really no way it wouldn't have been issued to someone, during that time, since nearly everything that could shoot was taken out of storage and issued.

Whether it saw action in large, pivotal battles or spent it's service life with a State Militia unit that guarded a factory district in Pennsylvania , and never fired a shot in anger, we'll never know.

The only muzzleloading weapons I have that I have a reasonable certainty saw action are my two original 1861 Springfields, with lock dates of 1861. I figure there's no way these at the time new weapons wouldn't have gone to soldiers who were actively campaigning or were going to see action.
Yeah it is very a “interesting” feeling holding a firearm, especially a muzzleloader that you are almost certain saw active service in a war.

Latest posts

Back