• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring vices: do I need more than one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the regular T shaped vise. It doesn't take much to release a frizzen spring. Usually just a little pressure will put enough slack in it to turn the screw.

I have never used one for any of the work I've done on various lock types and have yet to damage or break a spring removed with narrow nosed ,leather padded vice grips. I prefer slim nose adjustable vice grips with leather padding in the jaws. They are universal and you don't need several different size vices to fit the various spring sizes incountered.

I’ve got lots of vices, at least my wife says so, but I don’t have a frizzen spring vice. I’m told that they are very handy but have got by with a ground and polished pair of vice grips that I adjust to just squeeze the spring the least amount nessasary.

Do I need a second vice for the frizzen spring when I disassemble a lock to brown all the parts?
I have two, but it’s not recommended to leave a spring compressed in a vise any longer than necessary. They are handy for lock disassembly. When cleaning and tuning etc. I would relax the spring for any thing that took overnight or longer. Most of the locks I’ve worked on required the vise applied at half cock. And with a bit of manipulation you can remove the spring. You can still break a spring useing a spring vise, so I try not to load the main spring past half cock with the vise. BJH

I have t tool for removing frizzen springs. It has sort of a hook on one end that fits over the curve of the spring, and the other end is about 3-4 inches long. Can't remember who made it, i bought it from the make some years back at Dixon's.

So, when I disassemble my lock to brown the metal, which can take a couple of days, what do I do with my mainspring and frizzen spring? I've read that I don't want to want to leave them compressed for that long in a vice. But I've also read that I don't want to remove the mainspring from the vice.

What do I do?

Did the "vise grip" thing once and I broke the main spring. Drat! Ordered a new main spring . . . and a spring vise. Have yet to break another one.

So, when I disassemble my lock to brown the metal, which can take a couple of days, what do I do with my mainspring and frizzen spring? I've read that I don't want to want to leave them compressed for that long in a vice. But I've also read that I don't want to remove the mainspring from the vice.

What do I do?
Take it out of the vise. You'll be fine. When re-installing compress the spring only enough to install it in the lock assy.. No brainer.

In the distant past, for frizzen springs, I would use needle nose vise grips. It works, but not the best/recommended tool. Hard to beat a frizzen spring vise like this one. Use to be the only place that sold these was Dixie Gun Works. They are a bit pricey. Made in England and all case hardened. They were always on back order. But more recently, someone else sells a similar one at a more reasonable price. But can't recall who.

Rick
002 (Medium).JPG

You weren't kidding about Dixie being a little pricey! They want 55 bucks for that little feller.

Fortunately, I found the domestic one you mentioned from Muzzleloader Builders Supply for $16. It looks almost identical to yours for 39 bucks less.

Leaving a spring in a proper vise for a couple of days won't hurt. Incidentally, locks were not bowned on original guns, they were left grey. I like phosphoric acid to mimic the antique look. Sold as rust remover at the hardware or marine supply store.

vice grips will break your springs. get the right tool, a SPRING VISE. they are sold every where.
That's pure propaganda ? Used correctly with minimal compression (which is infinately adjustable on vice grips tools) , leather pad both jaws and you have a very good tool that is practically universal for most any spring removal. Course some folks can break an anvil with a feather so it depends on the finesse of the one using the tool.

In the distant past, for frizzen springs, I would use needle nose vise grips. It works, but not the best/recommended tool. Hard to beat a frizzen spring vise like this one. Use to be the only place that sold these was Dixie Gun Works. They are a bit pricey. Made in England and all case hardened. They were always on back order. But more recently, someone else sells a similar one at a more reasonable price. But can't recall who.

RickView attachment 52590
The vice pictured works mechanically the same as a vice grip.

Thank you, Sdlits, for posting that spring vice. It works well on all size springs I've tried it on. More importantly, the maker also offers a couole of tools I want but didn't know where to find.

I had one of the traditional ones, but couldn't find it when I needed to strip a lock (used a Vicegrip but scared myself. (It was a historic lock so a replacement would take time and cash to replace).

I took a gunsmith's advice at a Trade Show and bought one of these vices.
Never regretted it

Latest posts

Back